• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bristle Nose Vs Bushy

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I believe its the same thing....

Just my guess.

Sort of like a Rotkeil severum, brick face severum, red head severum, red shoulder severum.?

Multiple common names for the same fish.?

Of course I am not an expert. Lets ask one.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
This is why scientific names are best if you know them. I have three different kinds of sucker-mouth cats with bristles and none of them are plecos. I sure wish the people Down the line had put "real" names on them. One is a regular spotted, one a regular looking dwarf, and one a "red" britle nose dwarf. Who knows - bushy/bristle? I guess we just enjoy them and wonder.

George

mscichlid

Founder
The busy/bristlenose thing has to do more with where people are from. Whereas the folks overseas may use one term and the Yanks may use another.

Man, would love to get some of the red bristle nose dwarf......let me know where you got them from so I can try to breed those.....or have Franny do it for me. Kind of like Horses.....I will be the Owner and Frannie can be the Trainer....

longstocking

Members
Part of the problem is there are wild variants of these fish and line bred varaints of these fish. There is no such thing as a long finned BN pleco in the wild. They exist though :)

Julie sells the red varaint ... but only the long fin ( but she is sold out right now). I have a few and Ron has a few. I'm trying to breed mine :) Getting close to that age.... Keeping fingures crossed :)

Not the cheapest fish the world though... usually 15 bucks for 1 inch guys.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robert Peterson @ Feb 5 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Man, would love to get some of the red bristle nose dwarf......let me know where you got them from so I can try to breed those.....or have Franny do it for me. Kind of like Horses.....I will be the Owner and Frannie can be the Trainer....[/b]

I only have a couple of small ones. I got them in Cleveland at their yearly Extravaganza for a couple of bucks each. If you want decent fish at good prices you have to travel. It is always the weekend before Thanksgiving and is really worth the trip. Maybe it will be more but rooms at the Holiday Inn have been $65 a night for several years and it is only a 6 hour trip. Plan ahead.

DeeCee

Members
Wow -- that much for an unproven hopeful "pair" ?? Whew!

I vote for calling them bristlenose rather than bushy-nose.
Bristlenose at least makes them sound like they're worth that kind of moolah! :wacko:

DC