• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Brichardi Tank Setup Advice

Wblaze

Members
Hello. I have been out of the hobby since my wife got pregnant 3 yrs ago. At that point I had three mbuna tanks. Now that my son is two I want to get him started with a small 16g bow front or 20g "kit" set. I plan to put 4 or 5 juvenile brichadi in the tank. What tank would be the best fit? Is there much difference? Are these tanks alltogether too small?

My goal is to get him started and then in a year or two get a bigger tank.

verbal

CCA Members
I would start with the big tank now for a few reasons.

You probably want something tall with a canopy(or at least full hood) if possible. My son was always trying to climb into his tank in his room(from his changing table).

Also if it is his room, it will likely get fewer water changes than ideal. I am sure my son would love to "help" but I doubt my wife would be happy with the results :)

You can house more active fish. With a 40 or 50 gallon tank, you could have some of the smaller mbuna - Cyno afra, Labidochromis chisumulae, rusties, Maingano to name a few. You could probably even combine the mbuna with the brichardi if you wanted to.

Julie

Members
Hi! For the brichardi complex, you can usually house them in a small tank, and they'll do their thing. Like most people, I'd go with the 20 gallon, it would definitely give the group room to grow and play, etc. Since these are cave/rock spawners, make sure you give them some rocks to play with! Tho when they are ready to spawn, they'll do it anywhere.... even in the middle of a tank at my lfs much to the delight of the customers that watched the tank!

I do think that this is a good choice for your son's tank. The fish are hardy, they will readily spawn when grown, and several spawns can usually co-exist nicely! Enjoy!

Wblaze

Members
Thanks. My wife is really against a bigger tank right now or else I would grab that 110H that is available in the marketplace board. I am going to put the tank in his playroom which is off the kitchen and I will work on it daily.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You got good stuff from Julie. I started my brichardi in a fifteen and they were fine. They probably would have been happier in a 20 though. That was some time ago and I still remember it as a great tank. Lots of rocks and cubby holes. So much fun to watch them swim in and out and peck at each other.

There is a grey/black rock very common in our area that works fine. No need to spend money at an LFS for rocks. I think it is granite and quite inert.

Good luck,

George

londonloco

Members
Having raised 4 kids, 2 of them boys, I'd like to discourage you from putting the tank in his playroom. How often is he in there by himself? Never mind the mess of little fingers in the tank, or the whole tub of fish food dumped in the tank. Of more concern is the tank tumbling to the ground, glass cuts. Please reconsider putting the tank somewhere besides his playroom.

Wblaze

Members
I just got a brand new 29gallon biocube that was mismarked at $104 at Petsmart. This should be a good size tank, right?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Sure, nice tank if it gets by the wife.

Now LONDONLOCO is anything but Loco. You do need to make sure the tank is safe and kids cannot pull it over on themselves. I'm sure you know that though.

George

Wblaze

Members
The toddler will not be able to get to the tank unless my wife and I are there. The playroom is basically a side of our kitchen.

Norm66

Members
Here's a pic of my brichardi tank, a 20 long before they started spawning. It's got 3 adults and two spawns worth of babies in it now. Fun tank.
iphone%20pics%20015.JPG