• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breeding synodontis- every single species

Hi, I have a 60 gallon fish tank with a synodontis eupterus and she(female) is very fat. I've only had her for four months and already she's 6 inches. She was about half an inch when I got her. I call her Mrs. Piggy. She is also very strange because she loves going to the top of the water line and eating bloodworms and flakes. She actually comes to the top and swims around more than my bala shark. She's more active in the daytime than nighttime and loves being handfed. I don't know why but she really dislikes my datnoid who's a little smaller. Doesn't care about my parret fish and Dempsey. I was wondering if any of you guys have breed synodontis eupterus and pretty much every single synodontis Cuz I'd like to breed them. I've got two grow out tanks and probably gonna get an 80-150 gallon tank in May. Just wanted some info on breeding synodontis eupterus, multipunctatus, and petricola maybe even luciprinnis or nigraventris. In my other two tanks I have a baby petricola and a nigraventris. I know about the marble bowl thing too so no need to bring that up. Some info on courting behavior would be nice. And Fyi synodontis muultipunctatus are egg scatterers the only difference is they spawn in front of cichlids who mistake the eggs for their own and take them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum. There are a few members who are breeding petricola, but I have not heard of anyone breeding eupterus. There was a tread several months ago about breeding techniques. Do a search and see if you can find it.

minifoot77

Members
i've bred petricola but you don't wanna hear about the bowl of marbles so. . .

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

toddnbecka

Members
Eupterus have spawned in aquariums, almost never successfully though. Best bet is to keep a group, more is better. They're egg scatterers, and typically eat the eggs shortly after spawning.
Multipunctatus have also been reported to spawn the same way in the absence of suitable cichlid hosts. I have a group of 5 adult multi's in a 75 with a quad of eureka red peacocks. The 3 female peacocks generally spit a mix of multi and cichlid fry, depending on which one/s picked up multi eggs. Last round was 6 wee multi's and a dozen or so peacock fry, 2 females each released 3 catfish, most I've seen at one time yet. I'd almost certainly have more if I stripped the female cichlids and tumbled the eggs.