• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bored Thinking of pairs

Jim5190

Members
Okay I am Bored and trying to think of pairs that would be cool to keep. I came up with

Lyonsi
Umbee
Dovii
Black Nasty
Grammode

What pair would you guys keep

jonclark96

Past CCA President
You've listed some real bruisers. I personally wouldn't try any of those due to the huge tank size you need for adult pairs and the high probability that you would go through multiple mates until you found a compatible pair (at least I have read that a lot of those species are hard on their mates). I prefer some of the smaller centrals, like cryptoheros and archocentrus. They are easily bred in smaller tanks and still show all of the cool parenting characteristics of the larger species.

For some things out of the ordinary that I would like to breed would be krobia sp xingu and theraps coeruleus. The krobia are relatively easy to find, but the theraps are very rare. I have only heard of a few people who have them and even fewer who have managed to spawn them.

rich_one

Members
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were the same guy with a thread or four posting the same poll of the same list of fish over on MFK! ;)

-Rich

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
what size tank do you have? your gonna need 300+ with a pair of umbees as the male s get 24" and females 13". lovely fish but you need big tanks for them once adults. i think i read somewhere that umbee fry can grow from 1" to 5" in 4 months. one of the fastest growing cichlids.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Which one interests YOU the most?

If it were up to me, you'd be keeping chanchitos... ;)

Matt

Okay I am Bored and trying to think of pairs that would be cool to keep. I came up with

Lyonsi
Umbee
Dovii
Black Nasty
Grammode

What pair would you guys keep

Hawkman2000

Members
Archosentrus Sajica - Not to aggressive
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey - Aggressive as hell, but alot of fun
Cryptoheros cutteri - ?

I like the apisto Idea as well. I would have to find some really rare ones though.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Oddly enough our speaker from last meeting (Chris) brought several pairs of really rare and cool Apistos...

Matt

Archosentrus Sajica - Not to aggressive
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey - Aggressive as hell, but alot of fun
Cryptoheros cutteri - ?

I like the apisto Idea as well. I would have to find some really rare ones though.

Jim5190

Members
I am not getting anyof these i was just seeing what pair you guys would breed. i have a breeding pair of cubans for now i plain on getting bigger tanks in the furture but i wanna see what breeding pair you guys would pick just for the hell of passing time

verbal

CCA Members
Not terribly exotic, but I think a pair of Salvini would be cool.

A more exotic route would be a Madagascar cichlid pair.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
After Mo Devlin gave his talk on bruisers, I ended up with a bag of Parachromis sp. Yellow head La Ceiba. They're growing out now and the biggest male is has gone from 3/4" in the spring to about 3" now. Pretty excited about them as they are not nearly as tough to keep as any of the guys you listed or even jags as they stay pretty small (comparatively).

Hopefully, I'll be able to swing a pair in a 75 long term. No offense to anyone who does, but keeping 2 fish in a 6' tank just isn't my style.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
After Mo Devlin gave his talk on bruisers, I ended up with a bag of Parachromis sp. Yellow head La Ceiba. They're growing out now and the biggest male is has gone from 3/4" in the spring to about 3" now. Pretty excited about them as they are not nearly as tough to keep as any of the guys you listed or even jags as they stay pretty small (comparatively).

Hopefully, I'll be able to swing a pair in a 75 long term. No offense to anyone who does, but keeping 2 fish in a 6' tank just isn't my style.
SMALL NOW BUT THEY GET ATTITUDE AND 12". OH ASK DANGER CHICKEN ABOUT "CHEWY" HIS 10 TOOTHY FRIEND THAT WILL TRY TO BITE YOU AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY HE SEES. THEY ARE VERY PRETTY FISH TOO!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
SMALL NOW BUT THEY GET ATTITUDE AND 12". OH ASK DANGER CHICKEN ABOUT "CHEWY" HIS 10 TOOTHY FRIEND THAT WILL TRY TO BITE YOU AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY HE SEES. THEY ARE VERY PRETTY FISH TOO!

So a good "starter meanie" fish in your opinion, DQ?