• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bocourti won't eat

rich_one

Members
I have a bocourti about 6"-7" I got from DQ (thanks, DQ!). Picked it up last week at the meeting. It had been getting a little beat up in his tank, though it was not too bad. A little fin damage, mostly. I put him in a 90 gallon tank all by himself to try to get him healed up and back to full strength and color. However, now I'm getting a bit concerned. So far, I have not been able to get him to eat. I have tried both NLS pellets and also some spirulina flakes w/ garlic. So far, he just ignores everything.

I intend to maybe give bloodworms a try tomorrow... but any have suggestions on stimulating the big guy's appetite? I know bocourtis are somewhat more vegetarian... but so far, I have not found one fish that is capable of ignoring bloodworms...

-Rich​

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just let him chill and settle in. Don't feed him for a couple of days. Add some melafix. Do a nice big water change and he'll be eating in no time.

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't stress too much. It's only been a few days and he'll get hungry soon. I've heard bocourti are fond of veggies - try some romaine to entice him.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rich_one

Members
Thanks, Jon. I think I'm going to combine tactics. I'm going to do a big water change tonight. I will wait until Sunday, then offer some romaine and see if he takes it. If not, I'll do another partial water change, then try the melafix, and offer more food a couple days later, along with another water change.

I maybe will go find some driftwood or rock or something for him to use as cover also, to make him feel more comfortable. Hopefully, within the next week, I can get the big guy eating again...

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
You could also try throwing some dithers in with him that will readily feed. Worked wonders form me with a group of coatepeques I'm growing out. I never saw them in the tank and wasn't sure how much they were eating. I put four giant danios in the tank and they immediately started swimming about, actively eating and two paired off and spawned.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
you are welcome RICH! ENJOY!! he likes cucumber and zuchinni, bloodworms, blackworms. as said above i think he is stressed. he should be eating soon.

rich_one

Members
Thanks guys... I'm just gonna do a water change tonight, then try some romaine on Sunday, and see if he goes for it. I may go get me some giant danios or something tomorrow to toss in with him also, and see how it goes.

-Rich

mscichlid

Founder
Keep him comfortable with good water for a week without feeding. Once adjust to his surroundings and comes to the front of the tank, try very small amounts of different foods to see what he takes and doesn't spit out. If he spits it out, remove it from the tank and try something else. The goal is to get the fish to eat what you have to offer that is not a burden to you. Buying live fish is a crapshoot and expensive.

Take for instance, my dog will do whatever I want her to for algae tabs :)