• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bo and Belle the pollenii got married and had babies

BadOne

Members
Just a quick and hopeful note to say that my beautiful pair of Paratilapia polleni have a tank full of fry. Their reproduction is not a simple event. There was much courtship but no fighting or lip-locking at all. Bo danced spirals for the female while standing on his head--it looked like break-dancing. Then Belle produced long strands of frog-like eggs which she protected fiercely in the big clay pot. Bo helped her to distribute the eggs all over the pit he had built, with rocks in a perfect circle, and the bottom of the tank denuded of sand. The eggs wound up everywhere and Belle hid them all over the tank. I was sure she wouldn't be able to keep up with this constant shifting and movement. But after 2-3 days, a definite shape was detectable in the eggs. These two eyes and a tail remained attached to a huge egg sac and the fish-to-be, in this larval state, lay there unmoving for days. I thought the spawn had failed, but after a very long week, give or take a day, the fry started lifting from the bottom and are free swimming as of today. The parents try to keep them down for the night. A lot of them like to stay with the old man in the clay pot. Sometimes Belle takes off for some rest in her strawberry pot where Bo can't enter. But usually they are both posted as sentinals, catching and spitting out their babies and trying to tell them who's boss. Fat chance, if they're anything like their parents. Let's hope this spawn remains successful.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I remember those beautiful fish from the ACA convention. Congrats on the spawn! :happy0180: Glad they are doing well.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
New World blues?

Not quite but have to say that is a stunning species. Assume we're talking about a rather large tank, eh?

Spine

Members
DSC_6813-WebCCA.jpg

The lovely lady (Belle)
taken at OCA 2011 fish show

DSC_1363-WebCCA.jpg

The lucky man (Bo)
taken at NEC 2011 fish show

BadOne

Members
Yes, there was a reason the big male was named Bo--and he was Bo long before the Obama's dog was Bo. It was an acronym for (and also the reason for my forum handle) Bad One. He was a bad one from day one as he attacked or killed anything in his path. He was hideous and badly beaten up when I got him. My husband said, "What, that ugly thing?" He went on to win Best of Show (so he became Bo for Best of) in two consecutive TFSRI shows and was NEC Champion in 2009. He has won division titles in every show I entered him but he is now retired, his choice.

marge618

CCA member
Just a quick and hopeful note to say that my beautiful pair of Paratilapia polleni have a tank full of fry. Their reproduction is not a simple event. There was much courtship but no fighting or lip-locking at all. Bo danced spirals for the female while standing on his head--it looked like break-dancing. Then Belle produced long strands of frog-like eggs which she protected fiercely in the big clay pot. Bo helped her to distribute the eggs all over the pit he had built, with rocks in a perfect circle, and the bottom of the tank denuded of sand. The eggs wound up everywhere and Belle hid them all over the tank. I was sure she wouldn't be able to keep up with this constant shifting and movement. But after 2-3 days, a definite shape was detectable in the eggs. These two eyes and a tail remained attached to a huge egg sac and the fish-to-be, in this larval state, lay there unmoving for days. I thought the spawn had failed, but after a very long week, give or take a day, the fry started lifting from the bottom and are free swimming as of today. The parents try to keep them down for the night. A lot of them like to stay with the old man in the clay pot. Sometimes Belle takes off for some rest in her strawberry pot where Bo can't enter. But usually they are both posted as sentinals, catching and spitting out their babies and trying to tell them who's boss. Fat chance, if they're anything like their parents. Let's hope this spawn remains successful.

Reads like a virtual 'fish diary'. Looking forward to pics of parents with free swimming fry. B and B are beauties!:D

davidhusker

Members
Yes, there was a reason the big male was named Bo--and he was Bo long before the Obama's dog was Bo. It was an acronym for (and also the reason for my forum handle) Bad One. He was a bad one from day one as he attacked or killed anything in his path. He was hideous and badly beaten up when I got him. My husband said, "What, that ugly thing?" He went on to win Best of Show (so he became Bo for Best of) in two consecutive TFSRI shows and was NEC Champion in 2009. He has won division titles in every show I entered him but he is now retired, his choice.

Oh, darn.. lol

The first thing I thought of was our head coach Bo Pelini. As a nebraska football fan I think you could totally use that, especially if he is aggressive.

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvV_lPnNZcw&feature=related

See what i mean... Bo Pelini = "Bo" "Polleni"

:cool:

I think i might have to get some fry just to name one Bo after the coach hah