• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

black sand

Owens

Members
Black diamond sand blasting sand. $5 for 50lbs

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
Black diamond sand blasting sand. $5 for 50lbs

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

is that aquarium safe? where do you get it from? i was gonna say bigalsonline.com may have some nice prices on their sand.. i use, PFS on mine, but would like the black color.. whats your experience using it? does it sing well? do you need rinsing?

Owens

Members
I think some people found the blasting sand at the Tractor Supply store.

Arlene

This. A lot of people use it. I use it.

It requires good cleaning, but works well. Its slightly abrasive, but plenty of people have kept sensative, bottom dwelling fish like rays with 0 problems.

thecivic91

Members
I will try that thanks cuz I have pool filter sand but I want black and it does not come black does anyone no where I can get it in the glen Bernie area ??

turfboss

Members
At Tractor Supply - Closest to Glen Burnie is Aberdeen -

Black Diamond Coal Slag 20-40) is $7.99 for 50#

Black diamond sand blasting sand - 80 grit is $25.00 for 50# (reviewer - Flows well through the TSC blasting cabinet. Problem is it is so rediculiously dusty you cant see your part after a few seconds of blasting. Spend the extra money for the glass beads)

Black Bullâ„¢ No. 80 Grit Abrasive Glass Beads, 50 lb. Drum - $30.00

Could not find any blasting (SAND) for less - the cheap stuff is coal slag - I am not sure how fine it is nor how it might effect the fish.

Ading522

Members
At Tractor Supply - Closest to Glen Burnie is Aberdeen -

Black Diamond Coal Slag 20-40) is $7.99 for 50#

Black diamond sand blasting sand - 80 grit is $25.00 for 50# (reviewer - Flows well through the TSC blasting cabinet. Problem is it is so rediculiously dusty you cant see your part after a few seconds of blasting. Spend the extra money for the glass beads)

Black Bullâ„¢ No. 80 Grit Abrasive Glass Beads, 50 lb. Drum - $30.00

Could not find any blasting (SAND) for less - the cheap stuff is coal slag - I am not sure how fine it is nor how it might effect the fish.

Do you have any experience using anybody the above? I'm afraid to try it because it might affect water parameters or fish health..I know I just want it as a cheaper alternative to the black cichlid sand for aesthetic purposes..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

REG84

Members
I'm currently using Black Beauty in my 125 tank. It was $16.00 100lb bag. i was alittle worried at first because its not real sand, but it does not seem to effect my water quailty at all. the catch is it dirty and it takes some effort to clean, but you can't beat the price. i got it from The Stone Store near BWI airport. they also have a great selection of rocks.
http://www.thestonestore.com/

20130825_151522.jpg

REG84

Members
Thai - do you recognize the tank? Its the one that I talked to you about.. and I bought it from you friend

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Others have used the Black Beauty sandblasting sand before with success, but I have never tried. Something about putting coal slag (waste from smelting metal) in your tank makes me cringe.

I would certainly not put cories in a tank with it as the substrate.

I have used 3M Colorquartz before and like it.