• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Big Surprise...

toddnbecka

Members
Always a nice surprise to find new fry. Are their chances of growing out safely good? I've found 2 Synodontis multi fry and several eureka red babies hiding among the rocks in a 75, and several female ruby red peacocks in another 75 are holding. I figure if they survive on their own they've earned their place, but I don't have tankspace to dedicate to growing out more cichlid fry now.

Ophelia77

Members
Always a nice surprise to find new fry. Are their chances of growing out safely good? I've found 2 Synodontis multi fry and several eureka red babies hiding among the rocks in a 75, and several female ruby red peacocks in another 75 are holding. I figure if they survive on their own they've earned their place, but I don't have tankspace to dedicate to growing out more cichlid fry now.

Funny thing, they are in a 30Gal with 5 red-fin comps and as of yesterday 3 Paracyp Nigripinnis (Sarah correct me if I'm wrong please LOL) Caleb thought for sure something was wrong and was going to rip the tank apart- The Typus weren't coming out to eat at all that we saw, even at 2AM, for weeks. The babies are about 1/4 long already and we've seen 3, so he'll tear apart the tank tonight or tomorrow and we'll move the fry to a 10 gal to grow. I'm surprised the babies got as big as they have with the comps in there! Plus we've only had them for 3 months. So excited:)

toddnbecka

Members
That's not too surprising, typus are strictly nocturnal. The comp's likely weren't awake when they would have been out roaming around the tank. I love catfish almost as much as cichlids, it's just a shame most are seldom seen. If I remember correctly the typus are biparental mouthbrooders, so they should have taken turns holding the fry while the other one went for food.

Ophelia77

Members
Yes they are biparental mouthbrooders:) They used to come out every feeding, and then all 5 of them just stopped, which is why we thought something was wrong. But yes, catfish are very fun to keep:) These guys love to play in the bubbles on the box filter, and the Synos we have run the water column from the drip bar across the top. Hopefully between work, football practice, back-to-school night, dinner, and water changes for fry we'll be able to deconstruct the tank and count fry:)

minifoot77

Members
thanks everyone maybe next time i should try conditioning the fish to see if that helps i didn't think they were gonna breed this fast...