• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Big Red is Dying

I got home yesterday and my 13 inch Red Devil who I have had the pleasure of owning for the last 10 years is looking like his time is short. there are very few times where I have felt attached to a fish that Ive own but this big guy has been with me for some time survived thru thick and thin, killed a number of tank mates including 2 breeding partners. its rather difficult watching him suffer at this time with his body twisted into this 'C' shape as he sits on the tank bottom breathing heavily. I think I have decided if he is still alive when I get home I will go ahead and euthanize him which I have never done with any of my fish up to this point.

If anyone can give me some ideas on whats the best way to do this I would appreciate the input.....

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry the old guy isn't doing well. It's really awesome that you've kept him for so long. I had a similar experience with a diamond back terrapin who passed away after I had had him for 14 years.

As for euthanization, you'll find several different methods. I prefer to put fish in the freezer. Others will use clove oil.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I like to use clove oil to knock them out, then drop them in a tub of water that has a skin of ice on it and put them in the freezer. Quickest, yet more brutal to people, method is using a knife to cut off their head though it is not for the faint of heart.

Clove oil first, please. He's a big fish, so you'll need to keep putting in drops until he stops breathing. then I put in the freezer just for good measure.

blkmjk

Members
Dude that sux! I'm sorry man. Personally a fish that big I would use the Clove oil in a hospital tank with ice water, dose heavy so that it is quick. No freezing required.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

Jefft

Members
well I suppose this is something I will have to deal with sooner or later.. Terrell I am really sorry about Big Red.. this thread though is becoming informative in other ways as well. So what does clove oil do to the fish? The freezing? I see a few methods here.. clove oil .. freezing.. combo of the two.. cutting the head off.. what else? what other methods?

don't dose him in your hospital tank -- too much water and a danger to any other fish you might want to put there. Just pull him out and put him in a tupperware container with some tank water and start putting in the drops

jonclark96

Past CCA President
From what I understand, clove oil is a sedative, and in large doses, shuts down the fish's body. I've never used it, though.

There are several other ways, but most are less humane than the ones listed.

Becca

Members
I am so sorry to hear this :-(. I've always done the ice bath, but never had to do it on a fish this large. These guys have such big personalities and it's understandable that you'd be so attached.

To put it in perspective, you've had Big Red longer than I've had my dog - maybe you can't take him for walks, but I'm betting you've had a few one-sided conversations with him. He's a lucky guy to be with you and not the typical citronellum buyer.

AquaStudent

Members
I'm sorry for your situation. 10 years is a very long time and he must have had a pretty good life to stay with you that long. Best of luck to you this evening.

When I've had to euthanise I've gone with the pinning the brain method but that's probably less reliable than the knife method especially if you miss. The freezer and clove oil method is probably the most easy on the stomach (although there really isn't something truly easy).