• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Automatic Feeders

rich_one

Members
Is there a "best" model out there? Just curious as to which may be the consensus best one. I'd like my fish to eat 3 times a day, but that's a bit tough to do with having to work and such, except on the weekends, so I am considering getting one, but am not really sure where to start with them.

-Rich

bschuhart

Members
I have this one. Been using it for about 5 years on my office 150g.
No problems so far.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/211396/i/1/product.web

Is there a "best" model out there? Just curious as to which may be the consensus best one. I'd like my fish to eat 3 times a day, but that's a bit tough to do with having to work and such, except on the weekends, so I am considering getting one, but am not really sure where to start with them.

-Rich

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Does feeding your fish more than once a day have any significant advantage for fish over 1"? I would think that unless you are on auto-waterchanging (or change more than once a week), the increased waste in the tank (not from uneaten food, but from nitrates from fish waste) would trump any health benefits from the extra feedings.

My 180 only gets 5 feedings per week for this reason (big fish = lots of poop).

I remember Larry Johnson mentioning this in his talk and have heard it from other folks as well. Rapidly growing fish are generally not as colorful in the end and do not live as long.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I like my next door neighbor. LOL I just write how much to feed on a piece of tape, put it on the tank and give the guy a key.

fischfan13

Banned
Unless we are talking about fry or going away for a loooong time I would not bother.
Many of us go away for a week without feeding at all.

Cartel

Members
3 times a day sounds like a lot to me as weel. Once a day and they are plenty healthy and make too much waste as is. OUr fish eat much better then they would in the wild as is. I purposely miss a day here and there. Fry of course is a different story. If its for vacation reasons many of us leave for a week or more with out any problems. If I remember right on one trip mine were left untouched for 11 days with out any problems.

rich_one

Members
Sorry, guys... and thanks for the input!

Yeah... these are fry. Well, more juvies, than fry. All fish from around 1 inch to say 3 inches tops. Was just wondering if more feedings would help them grow a bit faster. But truth be told, if you guys feel it isn't that critical, then I will bypass it. I don't need to add more water changes! LOL... Thanks for the advice, all!

-Rich