• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.
Hi, all!

New to the forum and very excited! I've kept various tropical and some more simple marine tanks over the years with mostly success. I've recently started trying to "seriously" keep African cichlids - Miliawi specifically. By serious, I mean that I'm more interested in the quality of their lives than just keeping them alive. I've been curating advice from the usual places for a couple of months and have finally gotten to the point where my aquarium is set up, the water parameters match great, and I've introduced a few cichlids. I've got a 29-gallon with a Labidochromis Ceruleus that I had in a community tank for about a year and two newly purchased "assorted" African cichlids. I chose the assorted because of the price point and the fact that I'm new to keeping them.

I have a Red Tail Shark and six Red Eye Tetras as tank mates. I know that the tetras are a concern and that the shark will get more territorial as he matures. I verified that all species have comparable water parameter requirements, and I'm watching for signs of aggression/stress. I'm prepared to move any or all of them to other tanks when/if needed. I chose them on the advice of some professional hobbyists. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is that I bought as "assorted". I've narrowed the suspects down to a few possibilities... One, I believe, is either a Demasoni or a Blue Zebra. The other, I believe, is a Red Zebra. I'm hoping the group can help me figure this out. I'd love your opinions or advice on better ways to identify the species/variety. I'd also love to hear any advice on keeping cichlids in general. Thanks, everyone, and happy fishkeeping!!!

29 Gallon.jpg

Blue Zebra or Demasoni.jpg

Yellow Lab and Red Zebra.jpg

Hi, all!

New to the forum and very excited! I've kept various tropical and some more simple marine tanks over the years with mostly success. I've recently started trying to "seriously" keep African cichlids - Miliawi specifically. By serious, I mean that I'm more interested in the quality of their lives than just keeping them alive. I've been curating advice from the usual places for a couple of months and have finally gotten to the point where my aquarium is set up, the water parameters match great, and I've introduced a few cichlids. I've got a 29-gallon with a Labidochromis Ceruleus that I had in a community tank for about a year and two newly purchased "assorted" African cichlids. I chose the assorted because of the price point and the fact that I'm new to keeping them.

I have a Red Tail Shark and six Red Eye Tetras as tank mates. I know that the tetras are a concern and that the shark will get more territorial as he matures. I verified that all species have comparable water parameter requirements, and I'm watching for signs of aggression/stress. I'm prepared to move any or all of them to other tanks when/if needed. I chose them on the advice of some professional hobbyists. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is that I bought as "assorted". I've narrowed the suspects down to a few possibilities... One, I believe, is either a Demasoni or a Blue Zebra. The other, I believe, is a Red Zebra. I'm hoping the group can help me figure this out. I'd love your opinions or advice on better ways to identify the species/variety. I'd also love to hear any advice on keeping cichlids in general. Thanks, everyone, and happy fishkeeping!!!

View attachment 27830

View attachment 27831

View attachment 27832

EDIT: I'm still working on the habitat, so please be gentle...lol. I plan to add a lot more rock and a few more varieties of Anubias...and to disperse the plants more naturally. I used 45 lbs of CaribSea African Cichlid substrate, and I'm using Seachem Cichlid Lake Salts and Malawi/Victoria Buffer for water stability. I'm using a variety of veggie and protein-rich foods, and I'm minding the portions and frequency of each type. It's been a week since I introduced them all, and I've seen no signs of aggression or stress. The Yellow Lab has been steadily clearing a spot in the sand today, and the little orange cichlid continues to school with the tetras. The blue-striped cichlid generally does its own thing and spends most of its time exploring. The tetras are "tetra-ing" and the shark spends the days vacuuming everything in sight. I love to watch it work, especially when it swims upside down!