• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ask not what your hobby can do for you...

AquaStudent

Members
This reminds me of the discussion about the importation of wild chicks from the rift lakesofAfrica.

Very cool article.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
When ORA and the other aqua cultures starts to sell its fish cheaper that the wild caughts I think you will see a shift. As it stands now cultured fish cost way more.

dogofwar

CCA Members
People in our hobby should be part of the solution...not part of the problem...

Thanks for posting!

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
True enough but...

When ORA and the other aqua cultures starts to sell its fish cheaper that the wild caughts I think you will see a shift. As it stands now cultured fish cost way more.

Only because all the true "costs" aren't reflected in the price for WC.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Even if folks were warned of the consequences of purchasing wild caught fish and that the "tank raised" fish while more costly is better for the enviroment most would still purchase the cheaper fish. Everything in today's age is money driven. If you want to affect change make the alternative more affordable. That's why cultured corals took off. They are cheaper than the wild caught stuff.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Unfortunately due to their aggression and size... and tanks size constraints, many of the more desirable wild-collected fish will never be bred in captivity. Until some measures are placed on these fish (larger tangs, angels, eels, triggers), there is no end in sight for collection of these guys.

daninmd

Members
i think of bigger consequence is the amount of coral taken for jewelry, etc. I have seen pictures of boats loaded up with still living coral that has been set out to dry and whiten. thats sickening. I am guessing there is a lot more coral/damage done thru this than for collecting live specimens for aquariums. Luckily, there is an abundance of tank raised coral available, not the same goes for fish - mostly due to inability to breed in captivity.

AquaStudent

Members
Whoever can find a way to seriously breed some decent quality sw fish could make a pretty penny. Something other than clowns. I just hope it doesn't fall back to how the cichlid breeders that pump out thousands of low quality fish now dominate the inexperienced

Forester

Members
Even breeding clownfish you can make some decent cash. Especially with the designer types.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

daninmd

Members
Whoever can find a way to seriously breed some decent quality sw fish could make a pretty penny. Something other than clowns. I just hope it doesn't fall back to how the cichlid breeders that pump out thousands of low quality fish now dominate the inexperienced

There are quite a few fish being bred now. In my of tank, all my fish were tank raised. ORA has made quite a bit of progress over the past few years. I had a really nice mandarin from them.

Junelee09

Members
I saw a story in the news last night about how the lion fish are taking over. They are expanding there territory to the golf of Mexico and eating a lot of the fish there. They said they are catching them just to kill them and now they are trying to sell them to restaurants. But, because of the poison they have to cook them at a really high temp. It was really interesting. Just goes to show what happens when we mess with things and introduce fish to new areas.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

neut

Members
Marine collection methods and so many taken from the wild are exactly why I've resisted whenever I've been tempted to do saltwater.

daninmd

Members
I saw a story in the news last night about how the lion fish are taking over. They are expanding there territory to the golf of Mexico and eating a lot of the fish there. They said they are catching them just to kill them and now they are trying to sell them to restaurants. But, because of the poison they have to cook them at a really high temp. It was really interesting. Just goes to show what happens when we mess with things and introduce fish to new areas.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the spines are poisinous, not the meat. I used to live in Florida and still go to Miami and the Keys often for lobstering and spearfishing. the lionfish are everywhere, its nuts. It has just starting catching on, but they are delicious. super nice white meat. plus, they are not scared of divers at all which makes them very easy to spear.

all you have to do is take a pair of scissors, cut off the spines and then treat it like any other fish. They are getting popular down in Florida and are starting to show up on a number of menus.

Unfortunetly even if they become popular for food, it will not be able to keep up with their breeding. they are here to stay unfortunetly as their numbers and range are just too great now. there are regular spearfishing tournaments held to encourage people to shoot as many as they can, but even that type of harvesting hasnt put a dent in the population.

zackcrack00

Members
That's sad. Lionfish are very beautiful. But I do understand the reason we are trying to decrease their Wild Population.