• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

"Aquatic Cross-Training" Revisited...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members

Its no secret that many of us have our "roots", so to speak, in saltwater. Look, I have been a partner in one of the reef worlds' most admired and respected coral propagation facilities/coral vendors (Unique Corals), and have travelled all over the world lecturing about the reef aquarium hobby. And during that time, I always admired and kept freshwater aquariums, too. And my story isn't all that unique (no pun intended).

Wether it was a quick stint with a clownfish in a 10-gallon tank 15 years ago, or full-on reef tank not all that long ago, saltwater is not a strange media to most of us in the general aquarium community. However, for some reason, in recent years, there was this stigma associated with even liking saltwater in the freshwater world- let alone admitting that you had a saltwater tank. It was like it was a real risky proposition for your cred as a planted tank lover, cichlid breeder, or whatever. "You're crossing over to the 'Dark Side' now." is a common tease you'll hear from your hardcore FW friends if you admit to setting up- or even explore- the possibility of a reef tank. And let me tell you the reaction I received from my reef keeping friends when they heard I started a freshwater specialty company in Tannin Aquatics: "Are you kidding me- like, brown fishes... Really? (click to read more)