• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquatic combo/lower nitrates

ccp2007

Members
Ok y'all, this is a 2 part question concerning plants.

Part 1: I recently bought an "aquatic combo" and bamboo from petco for my aquariums. The "aquatic combo" consists of: Dracaena, Spathiphyllum, Ophiopogon, Trichomanes and Syngonium. I have found conflicting results when researching these plants. Some saying they are aquarium plants and some saying they're not. Anyone here have success or bad experience with these in their aquarium?

Part 2: My husband is having nitrate issues in his 75. They are consistently remaining high after a week of daily wc, gravel vacuums, decor and filter cleaning. We even went to the extent of removing half the gravel and washing it under hot water and doing a bleach bath on the gravel. Today, the nitrates are still at 80ppm. We are not over feeding. We feed 2 small portions a day. Both feedings we only drop a few pellets at a time and wait for those to be eaten before dropping in more. So, question is, what's the best plants to help with nitrates? We have tried everything except using chemicals and would like to keep it that way if possible.

Also, we have a few extra hob filters, would it be beneficial to make one into a veggie filter? If so, how do you do it? Please be descriptive as I am a plant moron lol

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

ccp2007

Members
Strait from the tap is 0. Our other tanks (which get treated the same) are 5ppm and 10ppm.

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies