• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apistogramma Cacatuoides

Aiacr

Members
Well i would say about 6 weeks to about 2 months ago i went up to Glen burnie and bought 6 Apisto. c.'s (atleast thats what they were marked as, ill try and get a picture on here for verification) from the House of Tropics, and yesterday i found one barely clinging to life with its tail fin all bitten off and breathing very heavily, needless to say, he didnt survive the night in another tank i have setup. But seeing that made me realize that i was only seeing the one for sure male i have, and the female...the, now, 3 others are no where to be seen. I have yet to tear apart the rock structures i have to see if they are all hiding in there. But i fear that the male as been practicing this "stealth hunting" i read about in an article, and that i might have lost the others. Could this be like a blessing in disguise type thing? where maybe the male and the female might have formed a pair? I have abunch of White Clouds in the tank with them, should i take these out? (because according to Francine, in an article that i found that she wrote, these Apisto's shouldnt be kept with dithers)

mscichlid

Founder
What size tank are you keeping them in? Dithers would not be advisable in anything smaller than a 20 long.
Besides white clouds are opportunist and may accidently eat the newly free swimming fry.

Hmm, I have to reread my own stuff one day. I'm in a pike state of mind these days.

Aiacr

Members
So i re-arranged rocks and plants during my water change today to try and find some of the other Apisto's...and no luck, only the two are in there. Im not sure where the other three could have gone. I also removed all but one pesky white cloud and placed them into a seperate tank with a dwarf gourami, and a female blue ram that was kicked out of my 15gal by a pair that has formed (blue rams).

But since there is only the two Apisto's now in the 30 (1 male 1 female), should i be on the lookout for some females to put in there aswell? cause ive read that a 3f to 1m ratio is good for these guys.

G

Guest_Bob Bock_*

You might want to do a google image search for nanacara anomala. I bought a half dozen of what I thought were A cacuatoides from a tank at MD House of Tropicals, and when I brought one in to the CCA meeting, some club members ID'd it as N. anomala. They really like flowerpot caves. I put mine in a well planted 65 gallon tank with some flowerpots, but one of the males was getting chewed up and I had to take him out. I've since auctioned most of them off at the last PVAS meeting.

[[Well i would say about 6 weeks to about 2 months ago i went up to Glen burnie and bought 6 Apisto. c.'s (atleast thats what they were marked as, ill try and get a picture on here for verification)..]]

Aiacr

Members
Im almost positive that they are infact Apisto. Cacatuoides, once these two start coming out from hiding, i think they got allitle shy with the rearranging of the tank, ill try and get a pic of them.

If anyone has any girlies they wanna send my way, ill be more then willing to take 'em ;). Otherwise ill have to plan another trip either up to the House of Tropics, or to Scales (maybe they'll have some there on the 13th after the meeting).

D

daniel4832

Ben,
Scales has both wild caught, and "Orange Flash" plus a few other Apistos. :D
Thanks,
Daniel

G

Ben,
Scales has both wild caught, and "Orange Flash" plus a few other Apistos. :D
Thanks,
Daniel
[/b]

Dennis got a pair of "steel blue" about 2 weeks ago from Scales.
The fish are doing great! The female is starting to turn yellow and
spend lots of time in her cave cleaning the walls. Keep your finger
crossed.
Kelly

Aiacr

Members
So i went up to Scales on thursday to find me some lovely lady's for my male. As i was looking in their "Apisto section" and noticed a tank with Apisto. Veijita form II and noticed how much the males in there looked similiar to the guy i had at home, didnt think too much of it, cause i was busy trying to find some females in the cacatuoides tank that was riddled with plants :p All in all, found the females, spent some time trying to catch them with the plants, purchased and drove the hour home. As im acclimating the females, im trying to get a good look at my male, but as per usual, he hides in the darkest cave in the tank so making out any colors is very hard. He finally does come out and i noticed the color markings on the face, i mean ive always seen them, but didnt think twice about them, and the redness on his back, and the red markings starting to show on his fins. So i jumped on the computer and did alittle bit of research. I came across this site with pictures of a male and a female (http://apisto.bravepages.com/viejita.htm) my male looks VERY similar to that male pictured, just not as brightly colored. And the female looks exactly the same...I guess it was possible that even though they were sold as Cacatuoides, the House of Tropics sold me some Veijita's instead. Do you think the Caca. females with be alright in the tank with them? There was alittle hustle between the new girls and my pair in the tank the first night (i think it was more of a "this is my house, and dont you forget that" type thing) but as of right now they are doing alright together. I can move them over to a 6 gallon eclipse that i got last month if need be, im going to make it into a heavly planted tank. Its fully cycled, ive got the white clouds that i took out of the 30 gallon in there right now.

And i guess another question that i just thought of, does anyone have any experience in Veijita's? Are they better as just a pair? or should i find some females for a harem?
....I guess that was 3 questions, but oh well.

Well, gotta go to work, thanks for any help!