• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apistogramma cacatuoides

Skipbeau

Members
So this is my first post and I'm wanting some feedback on a tank I'm wanting to start building. I want to do a full planted setup with 5 neon tetras, 5 rummy nose tetras, 5 black phantom tetras, and 8 A. Cacatuoides (2 males, 6 females). I have done some research but looking on opinions for plants, if anyone has done similar, or if wanting to do this in improbable. Oh and tank size is a 55 gallon btw.

Becca

Members
You don't want to hear my opinion on the Black Phantoms... Have you considered Emperor Tetras? Much prettier and a little less nippy!

Plants depend on lighting. If I recall a 55 is the same height as a 29. With a normal output T-5 you should be able to grow some medium-low light plants - swords, crypts, java fern, anubias, dwarf lilies, water sprite, val, rotala, etc... at least that's what I'm growing with that kind of lighting in my 29.

Any thoughts on substrate?

JasonC

Members
8 Apistogramma may be a liiitle cramped... females generally are happiest with at least a square foot of tank bottom to themselves... that being said, with enough cover and hiding spots, you should see some awesome community interaction btwn the 8. From what I understand, apistos are totally different when they are in a large tank in big numbers than when they are in the typical small tank w/ pair only.

Don't expect many fry to survive though... neon tetras are the grand champs of fry predation.

Skipbeau

Members
I have a 30 gallon as well that I can move my fry predators to when I do have fry. I haven't done much research on emperor tetras but I shall look now. As far as substrate goes I live in Hawaii and we have a lot of cool flat and smooth rocks. I know of a place I can get 1/2 cm pebbles that I was going to use as my gravel for the bottom and was also going to purchase some driftwood pieces. Does all of this sound probable?

MonteSS

Members
You will want a sand bottom with apistos. you can use stone and rocks to seperate boundry ares.

A couple Angels would be nice in the upper water column too.

And bump the tetras up to at least 12 of each type and maybe only two types.

...Bill

Skipbeau

Members
Angels are safe to have with them? And what type of tetras should I do then or does it matter? I was going to use the pebbles because I wanted a carpet of a low growing grass or something like that. If this is not probable please correct me.

zackcrack00

Members
I wouldn't do too many tetras. And maybe only 6 Apistos, and a few (1-3) angels. Remember, you don't want to have to move the tetras back and forth between the tanks, so it's best to not have too many tetras. I'd do 12 of one kind of tetra, 2 Angelfish, and 6 Apistos. Remember, if you do angels the tetras must be larger than neon tetras, as full-grown angels will eat neons, so I assume they would eat things of similar size.

Skipbeau

Members
I wouldn't do too many tetras. And maybe only 6 Apistos, and a few (1-3) angels. Remember, you don't want to have to move the tetras back and forth between the tanks, so it's best to not have too many tetras. I'd do 12 of one kind of tetra, 2 Angelfish, and 6 Apistos. Remember, if you do angels the tetras must be larger than neon tetras, as full-grown angels will eat neons, so I assume they would eat things of similar size.

So would the emperors or rummy nose I mentioned earlier be acceptable to do this or do I need to find something else?

MonteSS

Members
Apistos like to dig pits and nest as do many cichlids. Will the pebbles be too much for them to move?

Angels and Apistos should pay no mind to each other much if at all. Mine were totaly fine together.

I had wild Angels that did not get too big and there was no way they could eat a Neon in their tiny mouth even if they wanted too. I have never really seen a full grown regular angel.

I wouldnt sweat the Tetras and just get whatever you like, is available to you or on sale LOL. Any should do fine. I found teras to be too busy fussing and chasing each other then to bother or nip cichlids

Should be a great tank. I may try it again myself but this time in a bigger tank like you.

...Bill

Last edited:

Skipbeau

Members
Apistos like to dig pits and nest as do many cichlids. Will the pebbles be too much for them to move?

Angels and Apistos should pay no mind to each other much if at all. Mine were totaly fine together.

I had wild Angels that did not get too big and there was no way they could eat a Neon in their tiny mouth even if they wanted too. I have never really seen a full grown regular angel.

Should be a great tank. I may try it again myself but this time in a bigger tank like you.

...Bill

What size tank did you try in? And after the apistos are mature I don't see why they wouldn't be able to move the pebbles. They're smaller than most standard aquarium gravel just all symmetrical instead of staggered sizes and shapes. Almost like river rock but on a micro scale. But do u agree with the other guy about just doing 1 type of tetra or can I still do the group of 2? And I think I'm still gonna do the black phantoms in my 30. I've just always liked them.

I see a few issues:

both apistos and rummynoses can be quite sensitive and I wouldn't put either into a new tank myself. Even if you've got media from another tank, I'd wait to make sure you've got your parameters stabilized before introducing either of those stocks.

I don't like lots of small groups of tetras, especially in a 55 where they will just disappear. I'd advocate going with one large or two semi-large groups of tetras. Rummynoses are lovely. I'd vote for them. A second one could be any number of types include von rios, embers, etc. I would not do neons personally.

I'd also not do 8 apistos. I've only ever done apistos in pairs, and sparingly. They can be nasty and territorial IMHO. I'd make two or three different "habitats" in your tank. use rocks, wood and plants to sort of separate the areas. I'd probably also only do two pairs, and I'd probably buy them as pairs.

I'd not do angels. I might do another low-key cichlid like keyholes or rainbows (yes, my two favorites)

any variety of medium light plants would be fine. get about 2 watts per gallon and use Excel regularly so you don't need Co2.

Eco complete works fine for a substrate for apistos IMHO. Sand is not necessary, although you could cut the eco complete with some sand if you wish.