• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

API water conditioner

spazmattik

Members

verbal

CCA Members
Sounds like it is better than Prime for "bang for buck" and right with Safe in terms of cost effectiveness(the $25 size of Prime treats 60K gallons of water).

verbal

CCA Members
I guess the only down side is it doesn't have any other benefits like ammo remover or aloe vera

It could well be the same stuff as prime/safe, the smell will give it away if it is.

If I was using something like Stress Coat, I switch to it.

spazmattik

Members
I've been pretty lucky with dechlorinator since I have been back in the hobby. Between the 75g and the 125 I bought off CL I had 2 gallons of nutrafin and a gallon of amquel. Won't be long till I have to restock though.

When I get some ill update on the smell

Owens

Members
I have used the normal smaller bottles of the same stuff, they sell it at most retail stores. I never had an issue with it, I really only use prime now because it's popular.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spazmattik

Members
Cool, thanks for the info owens. I knew some one used it at some point. Gonna grab this stuff so I don't have to worry about buying more for a long time lol

API water conditioner is sodium thiosulfate. This is only effective on chlorine and not chloramine (although it will neutralize the chlorine component after it dissociates from the ammonia ion). Seachem Chlorguard, Aqueon Water Conditioner, and Chloram-X use the same active ingredient.

Dechlorinators that use sodium formaldehyde sulfoxylate (Prime, Safe, Amquel, Aqueon Ammonia Remover, Kent Ammonia Detox) will neutralize both chlorine and chloramine).

mchambers

Former CCA member
Andy, that's what I thought, but the linked page says:

"Removes chlorine and neutralizes chloramines instantly".

So it appears to be effective for chloramine.