• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

API master test kit- arrrrgh

thedavidzoo

Members
Ok, am I the only one who can't distinguish a 5 ppm from a 40 ppm nitrate reading in a non-planted tank) Depending on how I hold the tube and the card, near the card, on the card, where I stand, what the lighting is (sunlight, halogen...), where Pluto is in relation to the ecliptic plane, etc., I can interpret the results about 5 different ways. ALmost as bad with high pH.

THis morning I measured nitrates and almost freaked when it said 80ppm. I walked in another room and it looked like 30.There isn't enough difference between the card colors IMO. Am I overanalyzing? I'm not color-blind by the way.;) The kit is new. Just trying to set some baselines with PWC and so on.
With nitrite at blue and 0ppm, it is a no-brainer.
For those of you who actually still measure, how do you read these things correctly? A dummy with an engineering degree wants to know...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yeah, I hate those test kits. A lot of work and you get such questionable results.

Is anyone using a different brand that they are truly happy with? (Considerations being cost, ease of testing and readable results)

chriscoli

Administrator
That half the reason I don't do much testing unless I have a problem. I just do big water changes weekly and watch for any abnormal behavior.

+1

I have several kits, too, and I find that all I do is overanalyze what specific shade of red/pink/orange/yellow it is and keep questioning the results (or maybe it was fuscha....or pinkish orange with a touch of aubergine?). :)

I do know you are supposed to hold them on the card over the white background part....but even when i do that, i end up with colors that (in my opinion) don't really match any of the ones on the card.

As much as I hate to admit it, I find I get better (i.e. less subject to my own overscritinization) information with the more-expensive dip strips that have multiple tests per strip. At least with those, i can categorize the results into "good", "ok", or "uh-oh." I only use those when i'm feeling insecure about a tank based on the fish behavior.

WendyFish

Members
I have particular trouble with the nitrate one, the others are ok for me with the API kit.

The way I have dealt with the nitrate one, on the one occasion I felt I really needed to know, was to pick a spot that I could easily remember exactly, and that would have consistent lighting each time. Then every day I took a photograph of that day's test tube, again somewhere you can set up to have the camera the same place. I set it next to a bathroom faucet with the camera on the counter. That way, even though I couldn't get a sense of PPM, I could flip through the photos each day to get a directional indication of how fast it was changing. Yes, this is really really anal, and I've only been concerned enough to do it for one sequence of time -- but it's an approach.

WendyFish

Members
You can also side-by-side test your tank and your tap water. My tap water tests something like 5-10ppm nitrate (confirmed by FFX's water website) so that gives another point of reference for how much more the tank has in it (or doesn't).

Hawkman2000

Members
One of the problems with this is the lighting in the room your standing in and the color on the walls. I know this sounds crazy, but I found it alot easier to read the strips when viewing the in a room with white walls and cieling, with bright natural daylight bulbs for lighting.

rich_one

Members
I have to admit, I have stopped testing long ago. Unless I can detect something wrong, I don't much worry about it. I just try to stay on schedule with my water changes and filter maintenance.

-Rich

mchambers

Former CCA member
I try to make sure I have at least one glass of wine before reading the strip. That way, I don't worry too much about the result!

thedavidzoo

Members
I'll take beer over wine any day, no offense. I do like your approach though!
However, since I usually do my WC and testing in the morning, I'm not sure I should start drinking that early...:D

I have not bought a test kit in years!!! After a while you kinda get a feel for the tanks and when there is something wrong, your instinct usually lets you know. Well that is how i manage my tanks, not saying its how you should do it.

thedavidzoo

Members
I do my weekly changes religiously and have had no problems. I just wanted to know my numbers as a baseline. I did have a question on reading the tubes and cards. Evidently you do hold the tube directly to the card, not a distance away from it. This really changes the colors, thus the readings.
Found that out on another forum:

Important Information for API Freshwater Master Test Kit Users!
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
While searching the internet I came across this very informative thread on another forum. I know many use the API kits so I am copying it here. For the complete thread you can visit
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/t...ion-api-freshwater-master-test-kit-users.html

Here is the post

Hello all. I have gone back & forth via email with API today, and they've given me some valuable information on the API Freshwater Master Test Kits. The original topic thread on concerns that I had about the test kit results are in a previous topic:

Basically, I was seeing nitrate test results yesterday that I found unbelievably low - zero - in an established tank.

I was very impressed with the quick responses I got from API, and my faith is restored in their test kits. I'll paste in the information from emails with API. Note - I was finally able to get a nitrate reading of 40 ppm after following their directions:

"Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of
your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to
create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available.

Your solutions are not expired. Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed
on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of
manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured
in January of 2002. Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH,
Nitrate, Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years.
Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and
Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years. I would not trust these
kits after they have expired.

Liquid Nitrate Test Kits from any manufacturer can have a common problem
with their last test solution. For some companies, it is bottle number
3, but for us it is bottle number 2. One of the ingredients wants to
solidify out of liquid solution. If the test bottle sits for any period
of time, this can happen. If this does happen and the test is performed
without Bottle # 2 mixed properly, then you can get a falsely low
reading. I have never heard of falsely high readings with Nitrate Kits.
I would try tapping your Bottle # 2 a few times on a table or counter
top. This should loosen-up anything that has solidified. Then I would
shake this bottle for about 2-3 minutes, to really mix it up. Try the
test again and hopefully this will fix your problem. With regular weekly
usage, this bottle should only need to be shaken for 30-60 seconds.

Always check results at the recommended duration of time. Letting the
tubes sit longer can result in falsely high levels."

I then asked if heating the nitrate test solution #2 would help get the material back into solution and got this reply:

"I don't think heating is necessary, plus I don't want to degrade the
chemicals in any way. Tapping your Bottle # 2 a few times on a table or
counter top and then shaking should be adequate, but you will
immediately know with the next test."

I then asked if the proper way to match the colors was to place the test tube directly on the card, or back it up a bit, since the color can get a little darker when placed directly on the card. Since the gentleman was being so honest with me, in admitting that there could be a problem with their test solutions (or anyone elses) I thought it would be courteous to ask if I could share this information in the forums I read:

"You do touch the test tube to the color card.

It will be ok for you to share the Nitrtae Test Information. It is a
problem that every manufacturer has and we are interested in the kit
working properly for the consumer. "

As I said, the nitrate test finally gave me an expected reading, and my faith is now restored in the test kits. And I am really impressed with any manufacturer that replies quickly, tells you that there could be a problem with their product, and tells you how to fix it!

Pat

ip.gif

While searching the internet I came across this very informative thread on another forum. I know many use the API kits so I am copying it here. For the complete thread you can visit
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/t...ion-api-freshwater-master-test-kit-users.html

Here is the post

Hello all. I have gone back & forth via email with API today, and they've given me some valuable information on the API Freshwater Master Test Kits. The original topic thread on concerns that I had about the test kit results are in a previous topic:

Basically, I was seeing nitrate test results yesterday that I found unbelievably low - zero - in an established tank.

I was very impressed with the quick responses I got from API, and my faith is restored in their test kits. I'll paste in the information from emails with API. Note - I was finally able to get a nitrate reading of 40 ppm after following their directions:

I then asked if heating the nitrate test solution #2 would help get the material back into solution and got this reply:

I then asked if the proper way to match the colors was to place the test tube directly on the card, or back it up a bit, since the color can get a little darker when placed directly on the card. Since the gentleman was being so honest with me, in admitting that there could be a problem with their test solutions (or anyone elses) I thought it would be courteous to ask if I could share this information in the forums I read:

As I said, the nitrate test finally gave me an expected reading, and my faith is now restored in the test kits. And I am really impressed with any manufacturer that replies quickly, tells you that there could be a problem with their product, and tells you how to fix it!

Pat

ip.gif

Here is the post

Pat

ip.gif

"I then asked [API] if the proper way to match the colors was to place the test tube directly on the card, or back it up a bit, since the color can get a little darker when placed directly on the card. Since the gentleman was being so honest with me, in admitting that there could be a problem with their test solutions (or anyone elses) I thought it would be courteous to ask if I could share this information in the forums I read:

Just FYI.