• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone use Safe?

Hannibal

Members
I use Cloram-X: http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/cloram-x.html

Does the same thing as Prime/Safe...comes in monster containers of powder that can dechlor thousands of gallons of water...and doesn't smell like death (smells kind of sweet).

Matt

Ordered a 5lb container of this yesterday. Very impressed with their service. I received the shipping confirmation email about 30 mins from placing the order and it will be here tomorrow.

I think the "doesn't smell like death" was the selling factor for me.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Wow

Quite an appetite you have there. If you want to spin off 1/2 or 1 pound let me know what you'd like in return.

Hannibal

Members
Yeah, I figured it was time I start picking up stuff in bulk so I didn't have to get it so often.

Not a problem, remind me before the June meeting and I will bring some with. I will not be at the meeting next month, will be enjoying a little R&R in sunny Palm Beach FL.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I just ordered some from Amazon a few minutes ago. I needed a few random items to work on the pond at school and thought Safe was a more affordable way to go than liquid.

YSS

Members
I have been using my 8.8lb bucket of SAFE (good for 800,000G of water)for the last few years. I am probably way over dosing. Still have some left, but I will most likely have to buy another bucket in about 6 months or so. Cheapest way to go in my opinion. But sometimes get concerned when fish start to pick at the powder when I add to the water. I wonder if eating SAFE would kill the fish....

verbal

CCA Members
I have been using my 8.8lb bucket of SAFE (good for 800,000G of water)for the last few years. I am probably way over dosing. Still have some left, but I will most likely have to buy another bucket in about 6 months or so. Cheapest way to go in my opinion. But sometimes get concerned when fish start to pick at the powder when I add to the water. I wonder if eating SAFE would kill the fish....

I dilute it just before I add it. Probably not necessary, but it gives me a little piece of mind.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Wondered that myself

Have yet to observe any negative effects from attempted ingestion (by fish). It dissolves so quickly imagine it would be hard to swallow, and as most fish taste and reject things all the time expect this is no different.

I used to dose at 1 tsp/100 gallon unti I realized this was double strength. No ill effects either way but seems as if water changes are somewhat less stressful (for the fish) since the reduction.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I use a tps measure (good for 50 gal) and eyeball fractions of it for tanks smaller than that. Likely overdosing my 10-20 gal tanks, but never had any issues with that or fish taking it into their mouths - happens about every time I do a water change.

Shawnc

Members
Matt...you might want to reword your offer...every time someone has offered to bring me a baggy of "magic" white powder...it has been trouble :)

I have well water so I don't currently use safe but when I was not on well water I liked that it was shelf stable as a benefit. Most liquids nowadays are in plastic bottles which are not as airtight as glass and therefore are somewhat permeable whereas the powder does not interact until it comes in contact with water which is why it is more shelf stable.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Careful with pre-mixing Pat. Seen threads on Seachem's own forum that says that it is not stable if premixed and won't be effective for very long (not sure how long or if it is a marketing ploy or whatever..)

Well its been 3 months since I mixed a couple large bottles. Just finished using the last one and still works good so I guess I will mix some more. LOL

Ading522

Members
Well its been 3 months since I mixed a couple large bottles. Just finished using the last one and still works good so I guess I will mix some more. LOL

wow.. i was afraid of buying powder form because of premixing issues.. so havent had any problems with your fish, i guess i should try to experiment too! maybe keep liquid and powder forms like sam does..

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The first time I mixed up 2 - 500ml bottles. This time I am trying 3 of them. Will see how it goes.
So far so good. When I changed the water in the bottom row yesterday, I did like an 80% water change and used the last little bit of what I had mixed.
6-55's and 2-40b's

mchambers

Former CCA member
How did you figure out how much Safe to use per 500 ml and how much of the solution to use in a tank?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The powder instructions say 1tsp for 200 gallons.
The bottle treats 5000 gallons so I put 25tsp in the bottle, fill it up with water, and shake like heck.
Treat it like the bottle says. 1 cap per 50 gallons.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
At least its worked so far and I always over treat a little if I have the product.
Even when I used the stuff that was 1 drop per gallon, I usually did a little more than it really called for.
I made a mistake years ago with 100 2inch albino eureka peacocks. I forgot to put the dechlor in and lost all of them. That's back when they were selling for quite a bit.
Now I set the bottle or the cap on the top of the tank.
If its on the left side of the tank, I have not treated it. If its on the right side of the tank then I have. That way if I am doing a water change on 50 tanks, its easier to remember which ones have been treated when I move my hose. Remember I am old and the memory is the first to go.... LOL