• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone have laetacara thayeri?

See that Batfish Aquatics has these. I am interested in them. Anyone have experience with them? I'm thinking of them in a well planted 58 perhaps with an apisto pair or a Bolivian ram trio . . .

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've kept them before, Hollly.

Peaceful little brown cichlids ;)

They'd go well with the Bolivian Rams or Apistos (and tetras to make them less shy)

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've kept other laetacaras, and like Matt said, peaceful little cichlids. They will do great with apistos, but don't put them with any other bigger cichlids. They will get bullied by even the meekest of central americans.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Peaceful and furtive

To the point of being dull, and somewhat unattractive in my estimation, as is the rest of the genus. Just my opinion, and why I don't have any, be they dwarf cichlids or no...:D

Biotodoma cupido would look fabulous in a planted 58.

I shall investigate whatever it is you put down, Sam.

I'm just toying . . . nothing definite yet. Would like to add something to go with my apisto pair and move my bolivian ram trio to another tank.

I checked out sam's suggestion. They dig so that doesn't amuse me much with my very heavily planted tank. Also, the species has to be peaceful. I don't cotton to that killing of the spouse thing -- which some sites say the thayeri can do . . .

kribs get really nasty, too, don't they? Oh, and they can't reproduce a lot and leave me with babies to stress over (otherwise I would have kept my wonderful rainbow cichlids)

Not that I'm picky or anything . . .

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think they are relatively peaceful. I think Tony and Christine have some wild types they got after Anton gave his talk last year.

If you get something less ordinary than kribs, you should be able to move fry better.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
Holly,

As an owner of kribensis, I'd recommend staying away from them, given your preferences. They breed a lot and can be mean to each other when breeding,including patricide. I'm curious about other Pelvicachromis, however, and would love to know if they are a little mellower.

JLW

CCA Members
Thayeri are a lot like keyholes -- they're often sold as keyholes. They don't get as big, and are incredibly peaceful. One of my favourite Acaras. :)

They're not much to look at, but if you've seen my fish room, you'll notice that I apparently think there are 53 shades of brown.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Au contrare

I have two different strains of cupidos and they don't dig even when spawning other than a pit that wouldn't hide half a golf ball. They will occasionally pick up a mouthful of sand and test it for something to eat but they are not remotely excavators like Geos, Nics, Acarichthys, etc. Your extremely refined aquascapes would not suffer a wit....

And 'twas not a "put-down" but rather a desire to see you one day fulfilled, etc.
:D

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think the cupidos would be cool. Or maybe you could get some of Sam's nannacara aureocephalus (Golden Dwarf Cichlid)? I think they'd do fine with apistos.

I might have some thayeri in the store... I'll check tomorrow.

Thayeri are a lot like keyholes -- they're often sold as keyholes. They don't get as big, and are incredibly peaceful. One of my favourite Acaras. :)

They're not much to look at, but if you've seen my fish room, you'll notice that I apparently think there are 53 shades of brown.