• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
What Jon said. A FW Bumble Bee Grouper. I think it belongs or belonged to FuguPuff on MFK.

Bumblebee groupers (Epinephelus lanceolatus) are a marine fish, but young fish are often found in brackish environments and can be kept in freshwater. They are sporadically sold in fish stores for aquariums because of their attractive juvenile coloration.

They get enormous (8.9 feet) and can weigh up to 880 lbs.

Few Public Aquariums have the capacity to house such an enormous fish let alone fishkeepers.

This is another fish that is really best left in the wild. And should be discouraged from purchasing for any reason.

When I worked at TFP we had a juvenile one that was in the 700 gallon tank behind the registers. It went from a 6" fish to a 2.5' fish in about a year and was eating a lb of smelt every other day. It was driven to the Tennessee aquarium who took it in as it had outgrown the 700. I am not sure if it is still there or not.
Andy

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Bumblebee groupers (Epinephelus lanceolatus) are a marine fish, but young fish are often found in brackish environments and can be kept in freshwater. They are sporadically sold in fish stores for aquariums because of their attractive juvenile coloration.

They get enormous (8.9 feet) and can weigh up to 880 lbs.

Few Public Aquariums have the capacity to house such an enormous fish let alone fishkeepers.

This is another fish that is really best left in the wild. And should be discouraged from purchasing for any reason.

When I worked at TFP we had a juvenile one that was in the 700 gallon tank behind the registers. It went from a 6" fish to a 2.5' fish in about a year and was eating a lb of smelt every other day. It was driven to the Tennessee aquarium who took it in as it had outgrown the 700. I am not sure if it is still there or not.
Andy

Can't agree with you enough, Andy. Though that is an extremely cool story (and good that you guys did the right thing in the end), it pains me to see animals like this sold in common local fish stores. Guys like these, RTCs and arapaima should be left in the wild.

I would have to agree the fish keepers first priority should be the well-being of the fish on the long run...I wouldn't want to grow something like that out just to have to get rid of it because it outgrew my tank...ill just stick to my midevil for now hahaha

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app