• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone ever try to breed synodontis

cmcpart0422

Members
I have had a group of 5 synodontis lucipinnis for over a year now and decided why not try to breed these suckers. I read about all these crazy contraptions that suck up eggs from the bottom of a bowl and deposit them in a fry net. I decided to try to set up one of the pots on top of a bowl with marbles in it to see if I can get some eggs. If I get some eggs then I will try to maybe do one of those contraptions that suck up the eggs. If I don't get eggs or any action then my cats have a new place to hide and play. I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience breeding petricolas or lucipinnis and see if you can give me any info on your first had experience. Here are some pics of the setup I made.

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03205.jpg

DSC03209.jpg

DSC03211.jpg

cmcpart0422

Members
Yeah I read that article along with several others. Lots of good information. The one thing that I cant find is when they become sexually active. I read that is is between 1.5-2 years but I don't know how old mine are. I figured they have to be right in that range though. They are slow growing and it takes them about 6 months to reach .5 inches and I got mine a year ago when they were about 1 inch long so I figure they have to be close to 1.5-2 years by now. They are pushing 3 inches in length.

davidhusker

Members
Every successful story that i know of that have had people breeding these has kept them with a group of breed happy cichlids (looks like you have some victorian cichlids... perfect). The cats will lay their eggs and eat the cichlid eggs during a spawn, and the cichlid will mouth brood the syno eggs. I know at least 3 people that have had success with this.

Actually davidhusker, that refers to Synodontis multipunctatus which is a parasitic mouthbrooder. Synodontis lucipinnis (dwarf petricola) is an egg scatterer. The eggs are much smaller than multipunctatus and they produce many times more.
I spawned my group in a 10 gallon tank that was divided in half with a divider. One side of the tank had a layer of round marbles on the bottom and a small hut style cave with an open bottom. The tank was filtered with a sponge filter. I put the three Syno's I had on the opposite side of the tank from the marbles and fed them blackworms, brine shrimp and flake. When I saw a female fattening up with eggs I moved her to the opposite side and fed heavily lots of blackworms and frozen bloodworms for a few days. Then I did a 50% water change and added one of the males in with her. They spawned early in the evening inside the hut. They would circle each other tightly and eggs were flying out of the cave everywhere. Immediately after the spawning I moved all three out of the tank into another one. I did not change water or do anything for nearly a week. After 48 hours you will see wigglers. They will stay in the marbles or in my case attach themselves to the sponge filter. I fed OSI micro food and frozen BBS which they eat with gusto. I kept them in the 10 for about 3 months and then moved them to a 29. I got about 150 fry from the single spawn which are about 1" now.
Andy

davidhusker

Members
ahh sorry about that, i didnt really read his first post clearly, just saw the title of the thread and chimed in :)

thanks

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I've tried breeding my Petricolas for years, but nothing. I've tried the marbles and pots and no dice. I'll see if I get motivated again now that you mentioned it Chris.

cmcpart0422

Members
Do it man you can get everything to do this for like 10 bucks or less if you are resourceful enough. Ill race you to see who gets a spawn first :).

Sorry for the delay. i wasn't paying attention. My dwarfs were about 3 years old and around 4" in length. The only way I could tell the female was from her large belly girth. The males are much leaner.
andy

Ophelia77

Members
petricola:) we've been meaning to transfer them to their own spot, so this will give me a small push to get them moved LOL

cmcpart0422

Members
Hahaha looking good. I pulled my pot out yesterday and it was infested with snails. I'm pretty sure if I ever got any eggs the snails would eat them up. I'm going to had to make a new one the snails can't get in.