• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anglers--any golden shiner sources?

Sonny Disposition

Any freshwater anglers in the group that could recommend an old fashioned bait shop that isn't too far away from the DC metro area? I'm thinking that this spring I'll buy a couple of dozen or so golden shiners (Notemigonus crysoleucas) from a bait shop and quarantine them for awhile before introducing them to some of my more duckweed infested tanks.

They don't get quite so large as feeder goldfish or silver dollars, and I've been meaning to give them a try. I'm told that, unlike goldfish, they selectively eat duckweed without eating other kinds of plants.

Likewise, if you could suggest an area stream or pond that has some, that would be great, too. I'm thinking that wild caught fish wouldn't have as many die offs and wouldn't need as long a quarantine as bait store fish and pet shop feeders do.

Thanks.

toddnbecka

Members
Rosy reds/fathead minnows will also eat duckweed, I used to toss it out into the backyard pond in the early spring to feed the fish until the bugs started moving again.

Sonny Disposition

Thanks. Mine haven't been doing such a good job with duckweed, so I thought I'd try something else.

Rosy reds/fathead minnows will also eat duckweed, I used to toss it out into the backyard pond in the early spring to feed the fish until the bugs started moving again.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Any freshwater anglers in the group that could recommend an old fashioned bait shop that isn't too far away from the DC metro area? I'm thinking that this spring I'll buy a couple of dozen or so golden shiners (Notemigonus crysoleucas) from a bait shop and quarantine them for awhile before introducing them to some of my more duckweed infested tanks.

They don't get quite so large as feeder goldfish or silver dollars, and I've been meaning to give them a try. I'm told that, unlike goldfish, they selectively eat duckweed without eating other kinds of plants.

Likewise, if you could suggest an area stream or pond that has some, that would be great, too. I'm thinking that wild caught fish wouldn't have as many die offs and wouldn't need as long a quarantine as bait store fish and pet shop feeders do.

Thanks.

Sounds like fun to me...:D

Let me know when you're going okay. As for a place to go, I have some sort of idea, but I'll let you know later.