• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Angelfish trying to spawn for first time, serious problems...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
...she and her mate have been going through the motions for over a month. Her belly is hugely swollen and she is increasingly prone to self-hypnosis before smooth surfaces. About ten days she stopped eating and I was thinking about dumping her back into a community tank in hopes of breaking the cycle and getting her back into shape before she starves to death staring at slate. Came home and she's sitting on the bottom of the tank. Not good. Aside from labored breathing no other symptoms.

Any ideas?

mscichlid

Founder
Possibly egg bound? I've heard of folks trying to relieve the females with an epsom salt bath, feeding them shelled green peas, massage and Maracyn II. No good results were reported.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd say a larger than usual water change and epsom salt. 1 or 2 tsp per 10g. I dissolve it in a cup before dumping.

Sounds like she might have an egg caught in the shoot...

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Put salt in last night...

..to no avail. She's on the bottom of the tank and fading fast. Alas...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
'Tis rather...

...she was a gorgeous turquoise blue veil (note use of past tense) and it was her first time. Think I'll let the other pair mature awhile before I give them their own space.