• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Angelfish dithers

Plenipotentiary-at-large
My Philippine blues kept eating their eggs until this last time when I had a pair of Apistos in with them. Right before they fry became free swimming I pulled the Apistos and all was well for about two weeks and then the parents rediscovered their appetite. So my question is: What's the ideal dither fish for angels? I'm thinking slow, small-mouthed and cowardly. Would like to hear some suggestions, especially if they're based on experience, perferably successful.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Corys and ancistrus are great. Some ancistrus might eat the eggs but the risk is fairly low. Corys are probably better as they tend to swim around a lot more than the ancistrus.

However, I think you had great success if the parents did not eat them for two weeks.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Fire the shepherd

I think you had great success if the parents did not eat them for two weeks.

Right. I have 4+ wee fugitives hiding in the moss. Isis would be appalled.

I aiming for a 5 gallon tankful - this strain starts looking like little diamonds at about 3 weeks as they're just beginning to assume classic proportions, too much work if there's not a a paslle of them.

samsmobb

Members
Go with the norm being cardinals or rummynose, works great with my angels
IMO the angels don't tend to pay attention to the cories but the cories have gone to eat the eggs from I underneath them

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Go with the norm being cardinals or rummynose, works great with my angels
IMO the angels don't tend to pay attention to the cories but the cories have gone to eat the eggs from I underneath them

Your angels don't eat your cardinals and rummynose?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Larger tetras are good. I've partial to Diamond and Bleeding Heart tetras, which each can get about 3-4"

Also, pink tail chalceus are nice...but larger.

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Gentlemen

The idea is to provide just enough foreign presence to stimulate parental protection, not to introduce something(s) that are going to make a game out of how many babies they can eat in the least amount of time as big tetras almost certainly would by by dint of their nature and being much faster than angels. I have an old slow Kerri tetra that is about a year past maximum life expectancy whom I've volunteered for the job - his butt is pretty much already kicked so he should feel right at home.

samsmobb

Members
Your angels don't eat your cardinals and rummynose?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nope I've got 15 cardinals n 6 angels in my 75 and never lost a cardinal nor any of my endlers in there which are about 1/2 or 3/4 the size of my cardinals

frkyltn

Members
I had rummy-nose and white clouds with my angels with no problems also had a couple of dwarf neon Australian rainbows