• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

and this is why we quarantine....

chriscoli

Administrator
So, I picked up a group of blue dolphins last weekend at one of our LFS's in this area. When I got home, I was tired and hungry and I stood there in my fishroom asking myself....do I quarantine? do I just throw them in the 55 with the others? they look healthy....they look great....maybe I should just throw them in.

And then a little voice in my head said, "no Chris...you will be sad if they make all of the other fish in your 55 sick. And then you'll have to treat them with powerful chemicals, and your biofilter will die, and you'll be even sadder."

So, I didn't throw them in and I put them into quarantine. They've been active and looking great....until today.

I've never seen anything like this before, not that I'm a font of knowledge when it comes to fish disease, but I've seen my share of stuff. But what is this???? Is this a parasite? it's only on the faces of 3 of the fish so far. Anchor worms? I have no idea.

any suggestions?

So far I've added salt and Prazi to the tank.

sick dolphin-0300.jpg

JasonC

Members
dry skin? Maybe they need some good lotion w/ aloe? ;P

seriously though... woulda guessed ich but its odd that it is only on the face. Sorry your having to deal with it!

chriscoli

Administrator
Heh, nice! They're little threads, not dots so Ich didn't come to mind.....maybe fungal?

I mean, it looks like they need to shave!

MHMoro

CCA Members
Any chance you can do a smear/use magnifying glass to check if they are anchor worms?. Do they show any other signs?

Manuel

chriscoli

Administrator
Ironically, this microbiologist is not set up for that at home.....something I really need to remedy.

Fish are listless and acting like their gills are irritated.....flashing and coughing occasionally. I suspect that whatever is on their faces is there too.

JasonC

Members
ugh... dont ignore the flashing.. just lost a fish 2 days ago cause I ignored it and didnt treat til it was too late.

did you flex your google-fu for anchorworm pics to compare? Looks like if you can examine the fish close enough it would be pretty easy to tell.

with gill iritation I wonder if Flubenazole and Levimazole would be a good start... its good for gill flukes..

Also (and I'm just brainstorming here) maybe dose with some Pimafix/melafix to help prevent secondary infections from entry wounds (if they are anchor worms)?

chriscoli

Administrator
Been googling anchor worm and doesn't appear to match....but not sure if maybe it's just in the early stages.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So only one that matches based in my reading is fungus parasites seem larger unless they are some sort of tiny segmented body in that case might be leaches.

FUNGAL INFECTION (Saprolegnia spp.) fungus White hair-like growths on body. Appears cottony or furry; collapses when fish removed from water. Infects fish injured during spawning, by improper handling, or other causes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Try SALT. I have no clue what it is, but salt dips and upping the salt level to just within tolerable might knock it out, especially if it's fungal.

chriscoli

Administrator
Thanks guys. I added salt last night....1.5 T in a 15 gallon tank. I plan to dip any survivors when I get home tonight.

The sickest fish is alternating between laying on the bottom and then having the spins periodically. not good at all. The little whisker-like growths on the face are still there and aren't worse, but some loose, fluffy patches are breaking out on it's body with red irritation at their base. At this point, doesn't look like a full-blown Saprolegnia infection yet, but perhaps it is still in its early stages.

I also added API Fungus Cure. Anti-fungal med plus Victoria Green (Malachite Green) which is supposed to be quite effective against parasites. It was a desperate attempt, but seeing as how these are going downhill fast, I was ready to bomb them with the potent stuff. I deicded to use the Fungus cure since I'm still not sure if it's parasite with secondary fungal, or just fungal. It still doesn't smack of completely bacterial to me.

The only thing that's really disturbing is that the one fish has the spins....makes me think it (or a secondary bcterial infection) went systemic really quickly....kinda scary.

frankoq

Members
Have you notified that LFS? if not to get $ back, but to make sure they are aware and hopefully do something about it.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Thanks guys. I added salt last night....1.5 T in a 15 gallon tank. I plan to dip any survivors when I get home tonight.

The sickest fish is alternating between laying on the bottom and then having the spins periodically. not good at all. The little whisker-like growths on the face are still there and aren't worse, but some loose, fluffy patches are breaking out on it's body with red irritation at their base. At this point, doesn't look like a full-blown Saprolegnia infection yet, but perhaps it is still in its early stages.

I also added API Fungus Cure. Anti-fungal med plus Victoria Green (Malachite Green) which is supposed to be quite effective against parasites. It was a desperate attempt, but seeing as how these are going downhill fast, I was ready to bomb them with the potent stuff. I deicded to use the Fungus cure since I'm still not sure if it's parasite with secondary fungal, or just fungal. It still doesn't smack of completely bacterial to me.

The only thing that's really disturbing is that the one fish has the spins....makes me think it (or a secondary bcterial infection) went systemic really quickly....kinda scary.

Wow that was fast not familiar with anything that progresses that fast and causes disorientation...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
You might look up myxobolus cerebralis, which causes whirling disease. It is a parasite and there is one stage that does attach to the surface of the fish, which may be what you are seeing.

I do not believe there is a cure once the whirling starts. Don't know about before it starts.

Menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay get it sometimes. The organism is in all local waters.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Actually my first though was the fish had hydra on it.

Whenever you see a fish whirling, it is best to dispose of it immediately. That prevents potential problems of the fish releasing organisms that can affect your other fish.

MHMoro

CCA Members
Monogenes (flatworm infection)

Chris,

I consulted (sent picture and clinical signs) )with a friend and fish disease expert from one of our NIH animal resources and he strongly believes they are monogenes (flatworms). They attach to the skin and gills of the fish. See the attached PDF article where they also describe treatment options (formalin immersion baths or Potassium permanganate). Hope you will be able to save those guys.

Manuel

Attachments

• Monogenean Parasites of Fish.pdf
    384.6 KB · Views: 12