• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Alternative Spawning Surfaces.

Greengirl

Members
H Everyone,

My angels seem more interested in my filter intake than the spawning slate. Then I looked around my room and was noticing the shape of a beer bottle and thought it would be an interesting surface. But I wanted to ask you all: does beer glass leech any unsavory chemicals in the water? Would it be ok to use a Miller Light bottle as a spawning surface? What else could be an interesting alternative to slate? Just curious....

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think a Dogfish Head bottle would work better than a Miller Lite bottle ;)

The wild Geo. altifrons that I got from George chose a ceramic tree truck over myriad pieces of driftwood, rocks and other "natural" materials. And the wild festivums chose the FX5 filter intake. They like what they like!

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Wine/champagne

More and superior surface area, infinitely better libation as well...

My old angel pair loved sword leaves and large leaf Anubis plants.
My plecos love PVC pipes, and my Cory's love some mop strings tied to a wine cork.

Greengirl

Members
They keep flip flopping between the beer bottle, the narrow side of the spawning slate, and the heater. They check them all out, when they get bored of of one surface they move on to another. When do they settle?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Less is more

Dark is good for sleep, sleep good, All they need from you is a stress-free setting, clean water and good food. If that's all there you won't need a beer bottle - they'll just use the glass of the tank.

T

tug

My old angel pair had no shame and would allow me to watch them mate. At first they preferred sword plants but after they realized I was taking out the leaf with the eggs they tried the glass. Next they tried placing their eggs in several different locations. I even think they were considering the filter at one point early on. It was fun watching them try to outsmart me.

Have a joyous Passover everyone.​

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Shameless voyeurism

Actually it's only some humans that imagine that procreative action is sinful or "dirty" - can thank the biblical authors/revisionists for that, original sin indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greengirl

Members
I think my Angels are exhibitionists. They don't do anything until I get there. Then they just tease me by checking out every surface but not settling. So infuriating. I am hoping for a surpise when I get home. They weren't interested in breakfast this morning. Is that a sign of something?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Patience Grasshopper

They weren't interested in breakfast this morning. Is that a sign of something?

That they're well-fed? Or that they've become infected with a virulent pathogen and will be dead in 24 hours? Or maybe that your aquatic fixation is nearing a level that threatens personal relationships, career plans and limiting your social circle to others suffering from MTS? :D

I actually admire/resemble obsessiveness and find that said type of "surprise" only encourages such. Luck, am sure it's all good, breathe and enjoy.

PS - My Apistos seem to eat all the time but then I generally only feed once a day 5-6 times a week.

Greengirl

Members
That they're well-fed? Or that they've become infected with a virulent pathogen and will be dead in 24 hours? Or maybe that your aquatic fixation is nearing a level that threatens personal relationships, career plans and limiting your social circle to others suffering from MTS? :D

I actually admire/resemble obsessiveness and find that said type of "surprise" only encourages such. Luck, am sure it's all good, breathe and enjoy.

PS - My Apistos seem to eat all the time but then I generally only feed once a day 5-6 times a week.

Thanks Sam.
I need a happy hour. Anybody free in the area tomorrow night? I am obsessing over the fish because I just broke up with my bf and I needed an outlet for my unhappiness. Therefore, my desire to hang out with other obsessed fish people talking about stuff while imbibing. Anyone interested?