• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Almost Natural Tropical Fish Food

does anyone purchase food from Ed's Almost Natural Tropical Fish Food? He's a long-time hobbyist who makes his own food. He has a cichlid flakes option, which I recently ordered. My peacocks won't eat it! I'd had his tropical fish food before (as well as spirulina flakes) before and liked it because it comes in much larger flakes. The NLS, which I use, seems to be mostly dust for at least half the container these days . . . Anyway, just curious. Other forums RAVE about this guy's food and it certainly looks and smells good to me. But to my fish, not so much . ..

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Never tried it. I hear that Ken's Fish has really good stuff, but have never ordered from him myself.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Trust your fish ;)

I've never tried it but am a fan of NLS, Extreme and Kensfish. And live red wiggler worms...which are more than almost natural ;)

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
We can do that. I need to get a new pump for water changes and he has some reasonable prices. I'll give you a call tonight.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Ed's

does anyone purchase food from Ed's Almost Natural Tropical Fish Food? He's a long-time hobbyist who makes his own food. He has a cichlid flakes option, which I recently ordered. My peacocks won't eat it! I'd had his tropical fish food before (as well as spirulina flakes) before and liked it because it comes in much larger flakes. The NLS, which I use, seems to be mostly dust for at least half the container these days . . . Anyway, just curious. Other forums RAVE about this guy's food and it certainly looks and smells good to me. But to my fish, not so much . ..
I've ordered from Ed's and had good results with some products (sinking colored balls and some sinking pellets), and not such great results with others. I haven't tried the cichlid flakes.

I've also ordered from Ken's, and my fish love his food.

Not sure that whether the fish love it or not is the key. If it was, my son would be eating at every fast food place in town.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Cool - anyone else want in? www.kensfish.com

Shipping is basically actual cost so it's quite reasonable.

And a group buy is an excuse to meet and eat wings/drink beer/talk about fish...

Matt

We can do that. I need to get a new pump for water changes and he has some reasonable prices. I'll give you a call tonight.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'll start a new thread so as not to further derail Holly's (sorry ;) )... but please just pay Ken directly... and we'll split shipping when we divvy up the box of goodies...

Matt

No worries Matt.

I think I'll try a bit more with the Ed's to see if it's just an adjustment period. Then I'll give it away. I got quite a large bag and there's no need to waste it just because my guys are picky . . .

YSS

Members
In my experiences, often, it takes a few days for fish to start eating new food. For instance, it took my fish a week or more to start eating medicated flakes from Angelplus (I hear they also make great flake foods in general). Also, I recently bought freeze dried blackworms for my discus. People in the discus forum swore by them. About half of discus started eathing right away and went nuts for them. But the other half didn't care for them at all. It took more than a month, may be even two months, but now, all of my discus go crazy over them.