• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Algae in JD tank

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I have an algae problem in my JD's tank. I've been wiping/scraping it off the front of the tank but within a couple of days there's a huge amount again. My JD is under 2" currently. Is there anything I can safely put in there to eat the algae? I was thinking about a larger snail or something. It wouldn't even be a permanent resident since, I have other tanks that I could move whatever it is into.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Try nerite snails. They do a pretty good job of keeping things clean. None of my new worlds even notice that they are in the tank.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Most plecos are pretty durable too. Avoid the common pet store variety unless you want a future giant, but a bristlenose or clown pleco should be fine and they don't get too big.

Jumbie

Members
How long are your tank lights on? Is the tank next to a window? You know sometimes algae problems could be a simple fix like cutting back on the time the lights are on (only keep them on for 6-8hrs), changing the bulbs or decreasing the amount of food you are feeding. I would add a Poly filter pad, they really work wonders.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I picked up a BN from Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring while I was in the area for an appointment. The little guy went right to work and the next day the JD tank was clear of algae. The BN even cleaned the plants for me. It was quite amusing to watch my JD inspect his new tankmate. He'd swim over to the BN for a closer look and then zip off into the plants for "safety", lol. My JD is a very cautious yet curious creature. He spooks quite easily.