• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Albino vs. Brown BN Plecos

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I've noticed that my Albino BN Plecos seem less shy than my Brown ones. The three albinos I have are rarely ever hiding in their tanks and do no flee upon my approach. The three brown ones I have are hardly ever out. If they are out and I get too close to the tank they dart for cover. So I'm curious if there's a correlation between shyness/visibility and color among BNs. Has anyone else with BNs noticed anything similar?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have never kept albinos, but the browns that I have in all my tanks are always in or around the driftwood in the tank. Not necessarily hiding, but not often just out in the middle of the tank.

verbal

CCA Members
I only have brown bristlenose, but I notice a big difference between the males and females. The males seem to hide a lot more. I have fry that seem to hide a lot less than the adults.

In one pleco(i don't think it was an ancistrus) write-up on planetcatfish mentions hiding(males hide) as being a way to sex the species.

Chicklid

Members
bn plecos

I don't have any albino bn plecos, but I have the brown ones. What I've noticed with mine is that the older, larger ones tend to hide in the driftwood a lot more than the smaller ones. They all like to hang out by the driftwood, but the smaller ones hang out on top of it rather than underneath.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Well, my multies have now sent one of the albinos into hiding. They don't like him near their shells and chase him away. Silly BN gives in every time even though he's bigger than they are.