• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Albino Eureka

MIA

Members
What do you guys and gals think of the fins of this Albino Eureka bought from a local breeder??

Warning: Venting included :lol:

Could not be more disappointed with the attitude and response from the breeder for a fish that has a disfigurement... Compared to (granted an excellent specimen) the pectoral and pelvic fins are a complete mess.. Did not notice when at the farm but once he got in the tank... oh no...

They do have other great fish (bought 5 and 4 are great). Rather than say hey ok that one is not the greatest let's work it out.. they stopped answering my calls and email replies took days lol amazing :wacko:

"Please understand we spent a good amount of time allowing you to "hand-pick" the fish you wanted to take with you so we were very surprised to hear there was something wrong with the order, but we will exchange the fish if necessary"

After driving 5+ hrs to get there spent about 30 mins looking at different fish and choosing 5

Finally, after close to a month they decided to provide a refund and sever the "business relationship" :mad:

image.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I understand your disappointment, but it is just a fish. I assume it was much smaller when you purchased it, otherwise the finnage would have been apparent. I haven't bred the most fish in the world, but I can tell you that not all fish are created equal. Comparing your fish to a high quality show fish is only going to set you up for disappointment. I usually try to pick up a group of juvies to take into account the variability in batches of fry.

MIA

Members
Hey Jon,

Yeah know it's just a fish, have bought many :) Lost a few as well.

this one was bought as is after a long drive my fault for not noticing, loved the color he showed. Just expected the breeder to own up and say ok there is an issue let's fix it. Just venting, a bit pissed.

Rasta Fish

Members
In my experience Albino fish grows very slow, did the fins look like they were just ripped up by some other more dominant fish?
possible it was and need time to grow or if it was badly damage it may not grow out properly.
sucks this happen to you, did you end up getting another one?

MIA

Members
no the pics don't show it properly... they are just very small and twisted at the ends. Second pic is of the pectoral fins they are all twisted... he was like that out of the bag so no to being ripped... Kids call him Nemo because of the fins lol

MIA

Members
no on the other one... The Bucco jumped and did not make it... May have found someone with some 2in ones

MIA

Members
@jonclark96... It wasn't so much about the fish in this scenario about the breeder response. Actually was placing another SMH

Let's say you bought some fish from me and it turns out one of them had a defect you did not notice (not that you wouldn't notice) and you tell me about it. The response to you is... Hey I let you come to my house and pick the fish. Here is your money and we can no longer do business in the future.

My response would be. Jon that sucks, sorry to hear that, here is a replacement or come on back and get a good one or hey the next time you get fish will throw in a replacement, etc... guess that is just me.

Most of the other breeders have bought from have been great. Ah well... venting

Leffler817

CCA Members
On the bright side...
There are several other breeders, who will gladly take your money and may even treat you better. :D

Nathan

Members
IMO, If you picked it out and agreed to pay for it, you really cant blame anyone but yourself since it is such an obvious deformity. I doubt most commercial places would have acted differently.

dogofwar

CCA Members
First, where are you located?

So was this a commercial operation (farm) or another hobbyist?

Most farms and wholesalers don't deal with the public for this specific reason: They don't want to deal with this kind of stuff.

Being a member of a fish club like CCA provides you with access to lots and lots of quality cichlids for next to nothing.

Matt

MIA

Members
@Leffler817 True, already found a couple.

@Nathan openly admitted it was my fault "this one was bought as is after a long drive my fault for not noticing, loved the color he showed. Just expected the breeder to own up and say ok there is an issue let's fix it.". Just saw the fish and nice color in the net when he pulled him up and said ok on that one. Breeder was showing his other nice fish, this was not one my main list of harder to find species. Point being have dealt with many other breeders who do the right thing by the customer. :) my expectations are too high lol Is that the way you would have handled a customer of yours?

@dogofwar guess my member name did not give it away :) from Miami. It is from a farm they do both a retail and commercial operation. Whether commercial or public issues would arise.... Say you were a LFS that bought from them and you got a batch of poor quality fish, you saying this would not be an issue for them?

You guys are very lucky in that regard. Have not found a good cichlid club locally. If you know of one please let me know. Craig tells me of the deals within the club and it makes me jealous :)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It is from a farm they do both a retail and commercial operation. Whether commercial or public issues would arise.... Say you were a LFS that bought from them and you got a batch of poor quality fish, you saying this would not be an issue for them?

Having managed a now defunct lfs, I can tell you that stores commonly encounter one or two fish per order that have issues and should not have been sold. To some degree, it is considered part of the business. If you have a close business relationship with someone from the supplier, sometimes you can be credited for the fish. This is not at all common practice. When you tranship fish from their native country, there is even less of a chance of recouping money or having a fish replaced out of the 50+ purchased. These costs are factored into retail costs.

It sucks that you have a fish that you don't appreciate. From the photos (not the photo from Spine), it appears the fins were damaged by injury, in which case they could grow back. The damage does not look like it was caused by genetics, in which case this fish would be fine to breed.

MIA

Members
@Andrew... Was not blaming them. In fact said it was my fault. The issue is with the attitude and response afterward... Not even answering my calls or emails the moment a defect was mentioned...

3rd time have ever had an issue and the other 5 farms have dealt with have been great (running 6 tanks btw). The prior two issues have had have been addressed appropriately.

Hey if they even took the stance of coming out and saying hey look our policy is once you bought it is is yours. Would be ok with that, the not taking a call or two or not responding to an email... and then sever the business relationship... rubs the wrong way.

The pics don't show the fins correctly need a better camera took those with the phone. The fins are not bitten off, they are twisted at the ends kind of like the twist ties on bread. Both on the pectoral and pelvic.

Anyway, rant over lol.