• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Advice on resealing a tank

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I got a used 29 gallon tank a few months back. While cleaning it with just water, the sealant pealed out of all the tank corners. :confused: I've never resealed an entire tank before so I would appreciate any and all advice on how to go about doing so. I don't have a whole lot of extra time with my summer classes, so I'm not wanting to have to go about doing it using trial and error, lol.

Thanks in advance!

minifoot77

Members
use a razor blade to get ALL the silicone out then a green scrubby and alcohol. if you think you got all the silicon out do it again there is more :) you don't have to get it out from between the panes just the corners. then push the new silicone into the corners with a 45 degree angle of the caulk tube be fast cause if you want a smooth edge you can take your finger and run it back across the fresh silicon. i do all my used tanks just for insurance :)

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I agree. That's how I do it. Careful not to get your razor blase between the panes. Be generous with the silicone.

George

longstocking

Members
you can use dish washing soap on your fingers so you don't get the silicone all over your fingers and tank. Just put a little water and a little dawn in a cup. Then put your finger into the slippery water. Run your finger over the silicone once you placed it in the corners. Much easier and creates much neater lines. Less clean up too :)