• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ACA fun

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Figured it couldn't hurt to start a thread where people could post about their fun at the ACA. I know most of the people there aren't on the forum, but they can post their stories after the weekend.

The first day already included some drama. I heard there were tornado warnings for Milwaukee and everyone had to be moved to the basement for safety reasons. I think it affected the speaker schedule as well. The tank design competition was also yesterday, but I don't really have any details on that.

Hopefully there won't be any natural disaster warnings today. I'm sure people just used it as an excuse to hang out inside and have a few drinks. Looking forward to stories.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
What happens at the ACA, stays at the ACA.:D

Maybe a leak or two, who knows?:eek::rolleyes:

George

sfdvlam

Members
Would like to hear all about ACA from folks who are attending the event this year. I have not been to the ACA event but one day I would like to make this trip.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Mike,

As someone who's been to the last few ACAs and has to miss the one this year, your post begs the question:

Wouldn't it make sense to provide (perhaps paid) virtual access to the ACA annual convention?

While some people make their living by showing the same presentations multiple times and wouldn't want their presentation taped and made available...most, I would imagine, would be OK with this.

And there's a lot more than educational sessions that could be available:
- Impromptu and more formal interviews with people at the convention
- Interviews with vendors / manufacturers
- Guided tours of the fish show room
- Following along with the show judges
- Viewer posed question and answer
- Probably lots more

Streaming video over the web is really not technically difficult. Probably 2 people (someone for educational sessions and someone to do other stuff) with cameras could capture the content. Some editing would be required...but too much would take away from the "you're there" feel.

Just an idea...not too difficult to implement...and an opportunity to provide benefit / raise revenue / drive awareness of the ACA beyond the people who can actually trek there...

Matt

Figured it couldn't hurt to start a thread where people could post about their fun at the ACA. I know most of the people there aren't on the forum, but they can post their stories after the weekend.

The first day already included some drama. I heard there were tornado warnings for Milwaukee and everyone had to be moved to the basement for safety reasons. I think it affected the speaker schedule as well. The tank design competition was also yesterday, but I don't really have any details on that.

Hopefully there won't be any natural disaster warnings today. I'm sure people just used it as an excuse to hang out inside and have a few drinks. Looking forward to stories.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Next year it's going to be in Silver Spring and we're hosting.

By the way, I'm also in Montgomery Village (near Goshen and Centerway)...

Matt

Would like to hear all about ACA from folks who are attending the event this year. I have not been to the ACA event but one day I would like to make this trip.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Awesome idea Matt. I would definitely pay to see a "virtual convention" if that option were available. I was hoping to make it this year, but work stuff kept me from going. Maybe we can discuss the logistics of setting something up for next year? If there is an issue with taping speaker's presentations, there is still plenty that could be filmed that you mentioned that would still be interesting to see. The fish show itself would be worth seeing! I know there are a few people in the club that work with video editing, so maybe we can recruit some volunteers. Glad to have you on the board to introduce some new and fresh ideas. It doesn't have to be "broke" to make some improvements.

Awesome idea Matt. I would definitely pay to see a "virtual convention" if that option were available. I was hoping to make it this year, but work stuff kept me from going. Maybe we can discuss the logistics of setting something up for next year? If there is an issue with taping speaker's presentations, there is still plenty that could be filmed that you mentioned that would still be interesting to see. The fish show itself would be worth seeing! I know there are a few people in the club that work with video editing, so maybe we can recruit some volunteers. Glad to have you on the board to introduce some new and fresh ideas. It doesn't have to be "broke" to make some improvements.

You dont want to see or hear anything educational, you want the after hours dirt. Your not fooling me pal!;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
A couple of big challenges for the ACA are getting people to engage apart from the Annual Convention and demonstrating value for membership (my opinion and what I've heard from others...).

One way to address both of these would be to provide unique and interesting content for members...which could come from just this sort of thing.

Maybe sell access to the "Virtual Convention" during the convention itself... and then release the content (for free to members) via the ACA website over the course of the year. If the ACA can't get its web strategy together to support this, there's no reason that we couldn't host it from our own (CCA) site.

People post videos of parts of our monthly meetings...probably from the meetings...but certainly within an hour of them. This is really not much different...

Matt

fischfan13

Banned
Ok, so I'm going to be the spoil-sport.
I do not know if you will find one speaker who will allow his/her talk to be video taped. Each one of them is being paid to give their talk and many times they give the same talk at several different venues...each time being paid for it.
I am not sure there is much of an audience to live stream this event.
Would you even have 100 people watch it?

On another note, it seems like Milwaukee is a nightmare with floods.
The first thing that I did last year in Cincy was go to the Supermarket and load up with beer, wine and food. Wait, come to think of it, I make quite a few trips to that same supermarket.:D

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I think there would be enough people who would even enjoy watching non-speaker related activities. The fish show, vendor rooms, competitions and demonstrations would all be good examples. Since theres no true cost of hosting the video on a site, I don't think you have to worry about how many people would use it. Any extra revenue from this would be helpful.

Hopefully the ACA attendees were well prepared and have plenty to keep them busy without having to brave the floods. I think there would be more of an uproar if alcohol ran out before food.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I agree that a live stream only would greatly limit the possible viewers (like the people who couldn't get off work to go to the conference)....but a thread or page with content from the day (or the conference)...play-able at the viewer's leisure...would open things up.

Right now, there aren't that many ACA members. And only part of that relatively small number can physically make it to a convention. This is both about serving them (existing members)...and attracting new members to the ACA (and the conventions)...

That some people won't allow their presentations to be video taped has stalled all progress on this front for probably a decade. My take: don't include people who won't allow their presentations to be taped to speak at the ACA...or make an exception for a couple of people...and move forward with the plan...

Each ACA host club chooses the speakers for their ACA. If the goal is to connect with more members...reach out to more prospective members...and raise some money for a good cause. It seems like those who want to keep recycling the same presentations - before, during and after the ACA - should be less likely to be chosen to speak... Or maybe be encouraged to retire the presentation (and start with another) by making it available to ACA members...

Matt

Ok, so I'm going to be the spoil-sport.
I do not know if you will find one speaker who will allow his/her talk to be video taped. Each one of them is being paid to give their talk and many times they give the same talk at several different venues...each time being paid for it.
I am not sure there is much of an audience to live stream this event.
Would you even have 100 people watch it?

On another note, it seems like Milwaukee is a nightmare with floods.
The first thing that I did last year in Cincy was go to the Supermarket and load up with beer, wine and food. Wait, come to think of it, I make quite a few trips to that same supermarket.:D

F8LBITE

Members
I think Matt's on to something. Imagine someone with a camera going from tank to tank in the fish show and reading a small description of the species. Id totally watch something like that. Id also be willing to mount a camera to my cooler on wheels at the Catfish convention coming up as a dry run for next years ACA :D

mrkillie

Members
While some people make their living by showing the same presentations multiple times and wouldn't want their presentation taped and made available...most, I would imagine, would be OK with this.

Definitely would not work with respect to the speakers - too much opportunity to record their intellectual material. But all the other stuff would be great to see. I for one would like to see the show fish and the vendor room.

Joel

dogofwar

CCA Members
This seems like an issue of selection of speakers.... and setting expectations... and not an issue of technical feasibility

In other words, if you set the expectation that to present at the aca convention that you must have your presentation taped and made available to virtual convention attendees and aca members, then only people who want to support this ethos will volunteer to present.

Maybe there can be an exception or two but it seems pretty indefensible to focus on the desire of some speakers to continue to recycle the same presentations vs supporting the goals of the organization and delivering value to members and prospective members

One of the functions of my
Program in the government is to make available research and best practices on the use of health it. We run national - free - web conferences that frequently include luminaries in the field. They know that if they want the stage that their presentations will be both made available for free to thousands of viewers and made available via a free access website. They know this going in. And getting good speakers is not an issue.

Matt

Definitely would not work with respect to the speakers - too much opportunity to record their intellectual material. But all the other stuff would be great to see. I for one would like to see the show fish and the vendor room.

Joel

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sounds awesome - let's talk to pvas sherry and do it...

Matt

I think Matt's on to something. Imagine someone with a camera going from tank to tank in the fish show and reading a small description of the species. Id totally watch something like that. Id also be willing to mount a camera to my cooler on wheels at the Catfish convention coming up as a dry run for next years ACA :D

WendyFish

Members
Mike,

As someone who's been to the last few ACAs and has to miss the one this year, your post begs the question:

Wouldn't it make sense to provide (perhaps paid) virtual access to the ACA annual convention?

And there's a lot more than educational sessions that could be available:
- Impromptu and more formal interviews with people at the convention
- Interviews with vendors / manufacturers
- Guided tours of the fish show room
- Following along with the show judges
- Viewer posed question and answer
- Probably lots more

Streaming video over the web is really not technically difficult. Probably 2 people (someone for educational sessions and someone to do other stuff) with cameras could capture the content. Some editing would be required...but too much would take away from the "you're there" feel.

Just an idea...not too difficult to implement...and an opportunity to provide benefit / raise revenue / drive awareness of the ACA beyond the people who can actually trek there...

Matt
I think this is an amazing idea. The reasons to do it are there as you mention. I know that as a pretty new person, I would definitly subscribe to something like this to get an understanding what happens at the conferences. Regardless of the issue of taping the speakers, there is so much content that could be released -- it would be nice to get at least that out there. I'm not super tech savvy but if there's a way I can help with it for next year, I'll be happy to. It would be really cool to be the ones to pioneer this.

It seems like the tricky part would be pricing. I can understand the speakers not wanting anyone anywhere to be able to stream their presentation -- yes I can see how that would hurt them. But if there are maybe two tiers of content: one free that we hope lots and lots of people will see, and one premium that let's say we price hoping that some smaller number of the hardest core cichlid lovers will watch -- well what's the difference between that and if those 100 extra people actually came to the conference? Or, would we be willing to reflect in the speaker's fees that we have an expectation that some number of people will watch the session on the web? Wouldn't that give them a reason to go with it?

If that won't work, maybe as a compromise, the speakers can generate some sort of abstract that we can use, so people get a flavor of what was presented. From the speaker's perspective, that's amost free advertising, because those who see it and are interested in the talk can now call them up. And interviews with them as you suggest, would still be great content.

I do want to suggest sort of bifurcation of free "teaser" content and paid in-depth coverage, just to reach more people in different ways. The idea that you could have paid access during the convention and release it free later also would work well for this.

Just my thoughts.

Wendy