• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A surprise in my tank

I've had six petricola/lucippinis from Dykemyster in my blue orchid 45 gallon for years now. No real action from anyone. The blue orchid girls hold occasionally, but spit eggs to eat. Never seemed to get the concept of holding.

Then I was surprised with this today!!!:) Bad pic, but you get the idea. He's about an inch long and very active!! alas, seems to be an only child.

petricola.jpg

I did a little research and it seems that based on his size, he isp probably six months old already. I feel like an idiot not knowing this was going on in the tank. I have a small "fry pile" of stones in one corner of the tank for when the females decide to hold and need a place to spit (only happened once.) But I'm figuring the eggs got scattered there and somehow something survived. I think I"m going to enlarge that pile a little bit for the future.

YSS

Members
Sweet! I have 6 petricolas in a 29G. May be one day, I will find a few surprises too. Congrats!

Beeman

Members
Congratulations!!! Ah the joy:happy0065:. I have 4 of these guys in my 55 mbuna tank, just 1 1/2" right now. Such cool little cats. Wish I had room for more. Whatever you're doing, keep it up

zebra7

Members
Hello Hollyfish, there may be a reason why your Orchids continue to spit. How many are you keeping in your 45 gallon tank ? Is your tank 48" long ?

It's a 36" 45 gallon. It used to be 3M 5F (per Dave's Rare Fish recommendation) and it was a lovely tank for years with all three males colored up. Eventually they ganged up on the big one and beat him up. I also just recently pulled the subdom as he was pale, so now it's just the lone male. The females rarely hold at all. I'm told this is not unusual as this particular species is not very prolific. I'm trying to find some juvey males to add back in. I'm not worried in any event. I'm not trying to breed, just enjoy when it happens.

zebra7

Members
IMO, in a tank a bit larger your Jumbo Cyp's, especially your females, would be happier. This can also be why your females continue to spit. In a larger tank the females have a bit more space to stay clear of the male's aggression during spawning. Mulitiple males will also take some heat off of your female's when holding, and increase chances of them holding long term. I've kept, and spawned many species of Cyps in the past, and I've yet to hear a certain collecting point being less prolific than other's. I see spawning fry isnt a concern of your's, but this info may help other's interested in keeping this beautiful Cyp. Good luck with your group ! Anthony

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
IMO, in a tank a bit larger your Jumbo Cyp's, especially your females, would be happier. This can also be why your females continue to spit. In a larger tank the females have a bit more space to stay clear of the male's aggression during spawning. Mulitiple males will also take some heat off of your female's when holding, and increase chances of them holding long term. I've kept, and spawned many species of Cyps in the past, and I've yet to hear a certain collecting point being less prolific than other's. I see spawning fry isnt a concern of your's, but this info may help other's interested in keeping this beautiful Cyp. Good luck with your group ! Anthony
She is referring to Blue Orchid peacocks, Aulonocara Kandeense.

Exactly. Thanks, DiscusnAfricans.

Size of the tank ain't changing, and consultation with the expert i.e. Dave confirmed suitability of this species in this space. Otherwise, I'd have gone in a different direction in the first place.

zebra7

Members
Exactly. Thanks, DiscusnAfricans.

Size of the tank ain't changing, and consultation with the expert i.e. Dave confirmed suitability of this species in this space. Otherwise, I'd have gone in a different direction in the first place.

Sorry for the mix up, when I saw Syno. Petricola I just took it for granted the fish in question was a Tanganyikan species, Cyprichromis Blue Orchid. If Aulonocara was mentioned I could have saved myself some typing, :D