• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A peek into my fishroom- a work in progress

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I couldn't remember when I last posted up about my fish room so figured I would. Earlier this summer, I had considered building a fish building on my property, but with the economy as unstable as it is, i have decided to revamp my fishroom instead. These pictures will serve as my "before" shots and I will update it as I work on it further.

Here is the "main" wall of tanks. Its mostly 75s on the bottom, 55s in the middle, and 20 longs on top wiht a few random extra tanks thrown in for good measure. You can also sort of see my rack of 20 longs and the 230g.

Here is the view of where I do my shipping (long black lab counter on the left) and another set of my original racks on the right.

The view facing out from near the shipping station:

This half of hte room needs to be redone desperately. I am going to be adding two more rows of racks.

I am also going to redo all my airline. Right now, I just have draining ports (the pvc visible at the bottom of the room) in half the room as well. That will be finished to have a port for draining tanks at every rack. I also may seal the floor though that is not a priority. As you can also see, I have some "creative" lighting. Eventually I will have tidier lights as well, lol. Regardless, its a decent space that just needs to be tidied up to look better.
smile.gif

I use a central air pump to power the filters. All the lights are on a central timer. I have both light boxes (outlets) and power outlets every 4' in the fishroom at the ceiling line.

We use a UV and sediment filter on our water as it comes into the house as well.

Hope you enjoy our little peek into my chaos!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Looks great, Rachel!

A fishroom is ALWAYS a work in progress...

Pics of Snook(y)? Saw him in the background :)

Matt

Buckcich

Members
Very nice Rachel. I'm envious of your racks. I wish I could weld like your husband. Like Matt said, a fishroom is a work in progress. Please post any updates. Good luck.

Hawkman2000

Members
Very nice Rachel. I'm envious of your racks. I wish I could weld like your husband. Like Matt said, a fishroom is a work in progress. Please post any updates. Good luck.

What does a husbands ability to weld have to do with her rack.:D Speaking of wich , I saw no pictures of.:lol:

Buckcich

Members
What does a husbands ability to weld have to do with her rack

Chad, Have you LOOK at the pictures.................. Or you just jeolous?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
What does a husbands ability to weld have to do with her rack

Chad, Have you LOOK at the pictures.................. Or you just jeolous?

double entendre
lit. from the French meaning 'double meaning.' a phrase or saying that has another connotation apart from the literal, almost always sexual in nature.

Sigh. Lost or wasted humor is such always a tragedy. But an otherwise fertile post indeed. Nice fishroom set-up by the way Rachel, you'll forgive if I'm too much the gentlemen to venture any comment on the subject of "racks", yours or anyone else's.

Rachel,
I don't see any insulation on the walls or ceiling. What do you do to keep the temperature up? Are the tanks individually heated?

What do you do for humidity control?

I am working on the design for my new fish room and have pretty much settled on an air exchanger for humidity control and a space heater for temperature maintenance but I am getting a lot of different ideas on insulation.

Just curious what you are doing and what effects you are seeing.

One of our local club members just had to tear down their fish room (small room with lots of tanks and no insulation) because black mold had permeated the ceiling and walls caused by the humidity and was making him and his wife sick.

Andy

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Rachel,
I don't see any insulation on the walls or ceiling. What do you do to keep the temperature up? Are the tanks individually heated?

Its a basement and stays low 70s year round with no heating/cooling. I don't have it insulated, its just block walls. The tanks do not use heaters. Bottom row stays low 70s (73-75), middle row mid 70s (76-77), top row about 78-80. The llights and their proximity seem to keep them warm enough. Also, a dehumidifier seems to provide a lot of warmth and we heat our house with wood. The house has a central chimney (through the middle of hte fish room as well).

What do you do for humidity control?

I have a dehumidifier hard plumbed to the sewer line and a back up one, just in case.

I am working on the design for my new fish room and have pretty much settled on an air exchanger for humidity control and a space heater for temperature maintenance but I am getting a lot of different ideas on insulation.

Just curious what you are doing and what effects you are seeing.

One of our local club members just had to tear down their fish room (small room with lots of tanks and no insulation) because black mold had permeated the ceiling and walls caused by the humidity and was making him and his wife sick.

Andy
You wouldn't know i have fihs in my house if I didn't tell you or take you down there, so far, the dehumidifier in teh summer and the woodstove in teh winter takes care of things more than adequately. I do also have a greenhouse heater, but have never had to use it yet as no tank has gotten below low 70s thus far int eh few years its been running and that was only for a few days at the coldest point of winter.

Yes I am interested in what you do for humidity control as well.

:) See above comments.

Thanks for the info.

I am guessing that you have an older home. I have heard from several people that older homes that are not as sealed up as today's homes actually do better with humidity because the home can breathe more.

Not sure that would work really well with me since we have gas heat and a better sealed home but good info nonetheless.

Andy

dogofwar

CCA Members
I keep my fishroom ventilated with small fans...and it really helps that the furnace / AC is in the same room...

Matt

msjinkzd

invert junkie
My house was built in 1987, so I don't know that its considered older. I think it works because I use a dehumidifier which can run 24/7 and we use a wood stove in teh cool months which sucks a lot of moisture out of the air as well.

I also have a fan, but its more for me than the fish, lol.