• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A. oblongum growth rate?

chris_todd

Members
I got a group of oblongums from Sam back in October and the largest is maybe an inch and a half now. Am I doing something wrong, or are these guys just slow growers?

Actually, on further examination, the largest is about two inches or so. I'm a guy, I'm not very good at judging sizes. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

mchambers

Former CCA member
Still seems like slow growth to me. I got a group from Sam around the same time and the biggest is probably 4 inches, if I am any better at measuring than you.

JasonC

Members
I got a group around the same time also (maybe beginning of year) and they are max 2" also... sure it is same rules as other sp. re: growth rate... more water changes/diet, etc determines growth rate?

chris_todd

Members
I usually do 50% water changes every week, but I probably have been underfeeding them. They're alone in a 37g tank, though, so the water quality should not have ever gotten too bad.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I wonder why mine are so much bigger? I generally only feed once a day, five days a week.

Maybe it's that special steroid enhanced food?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I wonder why mine are so much bigger? I generally only feed once a day, five days a week.

Maybe it's that special steroid enhanced food?

What size tank do you have them in, Matt?

I always see increased growth spurt when fish get bumped up to a larger tank...

mchambers

Former CCA member
There may have been a few shrimp initially, but they're long gone. They've always been in a 40B. They get the same food as most of my fish -- mostly Cobalt and Ken's flakes and pellets, with some repashy and grindal worms on occasion.

The largest one gets very colored up, but I haven't seen any breeding activity yet.