• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A little wet reading

Plenipotentiary-at-large
The Not So Few, the Proud, the Maligned

by Gunga Din (a.k.a. Dr. Cory D. Oras)

"An aquarium is natural selection inside a box, but all the actual evolution occurs outside the glass". Freshwater Paradigms, Chapter 1, Volume 2, Encyclopedia Aquatica

Compelling as insects or microbes may be to some folk, aquatic habitats are the most complex systems wherein species can actually be kept in something approximating a natural habitat. And while most pet owners' duties are restricted to feeding and cleaning up after their charges, aquarium keeping is a complex and sometimes challenging multi-disciplinary activity that invariably enlightens its practitioners in ways not generally associated with sifting litter boxes.

Does that mean owning fish is rigorous or not for the faint of heart? Certainly no more so than following a 5 to 120-pound carnivore through public twice a day while clutching a plastic bag, exalted and ennobling as that may be. But putting aside the virtues and bliss of hair balls, keeping frozen mice in your refrigerator or having to live with yourself after neutering your alleged best friend (and wondering if hes just waiting for the day when he can get even), let's consider what keeping fish typically means for otherwise normal people.

Invariably, anyone who keeps fish for very long soon finds themselves possessed of a practical knowledge of chemistry, engineering, fluid hydraulics, spectral analysis, gardening, medical diagnosis and treatment, animal behaviorism and reproductive health. Although to look at your fellow fishkeepers you might not know it, many of them indulge in genetics in their spare time and ponder the finer aspects for what is essentially bio-engineering.

Not many dogs and cats that will prompt you to learn or attempt all that, whatever endearing habits they might possess, though I have to say that in all my years my fish have yet to wake me up in the middle of the night, trash the furniture or experience a momentary ballistic fit expressed as a primal psychological flashback to their lupine or tigrine ancestry. And Jack Dempsey or jaguar cichlid, youll never turn to discover that one of your aquatic charges has decided to spasmodically assert its dominance upon the leg of one of your dinner guests or a prospective sweetheart.

At the height of my former aquatic glory I had four 55 gallon tanks all running on big fluorescents and undergravel filters that were home to about 30 species of Corydoras and a collection of 'filler' fish to occupy the upper reaches of the tank. At the time, reverse flow power heads with foam pre-filters represented fairly cutting edge technology for low-budget types. Despite considerable over-crowding, frequent water changes and blackworms made spawnings fairly common, and the high point for me was managing to hatch out C. barbatus fry back when everyone still thought they were difficult to breed.

Shortly thereafter I had to move, so I dismantled the tanks, gave away the fish and most of the hardware and didn't keep an aquarium for over ten years (though I did manage a ferocious amount of gardening). Fast forward to 2008 and a new job in DC and an apartment without a garden. No problem, at least not with the prospect of indoor underwater gardens. I went to Craig's List and naturally bought a 55 set-up. A week later I was in a pet store, which was unremarkable except that the changes that had taken place in a decade were sort of amazing.

To start with there were fish that for all intents and purposes hadn't existed before. Blue angelfish for instance, and gold rams, blue rams and a number of other hybrids, some of which probably wouldn't last a day in the wild. And then there were species that while possibly previously discovered weren't generally available before, including more Apistogrammas than I knew even existed, rare Corydoras, and enough availability of 'new' species to make it seem like there must be a freshwater pipeline running from the Amazon up to the East Coast.

Acrylic tanks had become common, a myriad of different high-tech lighting systems were available, as were a remarkable number of filter variations (including a plethora of hang-on types, most which seem principally designed to cultivate addictions to disposable cartridges), many integrating heaters, protein skimmers and UV sterilizers into the mix. There were twenty types of frozen food (rather than just brine shrimp), medications for maladies previously unknown to science (always a worse option than maintenance), and a host of companies (almost all supplied by manufacturers in China) that simply had not existed ten years ago.

But for all the changes, the hobby is still largely the same, and the fact remains that the critical ingredients to success arent available in a box. Good filter maintenance, water changes and a varied diet are still the hallmarks of an aquarist's success, and spawnings still the benchmark and validation that separates the dilettantes from the devoted. For all the pricey high-tech options, it's still about taking an empty vessel and transforming it into a discrete but dynamic equilibrium tailored to your very own artistry and caprice. It's about creating, and for those with the wit and a modest amount of discipline, it's about life. Still beats the pants off television.

In 36 months I've gone from no tanks to over 40 totaling just short of 900 gallons. Virtually all of them, their denizens and the attendant hardware were acquired through Craigslist, Aquabid, Ebay or from fellow club members/hobbyists. (The single greatest innovation within the hobby has to be the evolution and ease of doing online research and shopping.) Over half the tanks are 10s or 20s for growing out juvenile dwarf cichlids and catfish, but there's a 75, a couple 55s, two 40 breeders and two 29s all functioning as community tanks. The lovely, refined and brilliant light of my joy characterizes this assemblage, "Aquariums as decor", which I suspect is at least partially informed by her propensity for becoming extremely enamored of spawning pairs of rams and angelfish. I suppose in some respects this is also a tribute to aquascaping all the tanks with plants and stones (even the lone 5 gallon one for the Black Paradise in the kitchen), but talk about a 'license to fly'. But then that license and the accompanying freedom of expression poses its own dilemma.

For a year I had a 6-ft. 100 that remain unfilled on account of not quite being able to reconcile it's looming presence in the bedroom of my otherwise fairly spacious three-room apartment. Had everything I needed for it, except the ability to overcome the sense I'd entered 'too much of a good thing' territory. But even that was alright, in the sense that good things take time and the longer it remained empty the more my imagination worked to appoint its interior in a way that would do more than justify it's presence by making it a marvel of semi-natural splendor. Daydreams about only filling it part way and doing a terrarium thing, making it my first tank of US species, even wondering if I might get lucky and find that the Smithsonian was having a clearance sale on the overstock in their mineral collection. And then there were snakes and other species options to consider as well, nearly all of which had the benefit of not requiring an additional 1000 pounds of dead weight being added to the load on the floor joists of my third floor 100 year-old apartment.

My deliberations about what to do werent all lyric. At one point I even considered going in a different direction altogether and that perhaps what I really needed was a dog. (A very small one of course - wouldn't want to be cruel. Is there such a thing as miniature Labrador? They're semi-aquatic aren't they?) Ultimately I sort of did both. I overcame my reservations and filled the tank so that I could provide better accommodations for a pair of Geophagus altifrons (and friends) whom I had come to affectionately regard as my big dogs being as each of them masses about five times more than the next largest fish I own.

It's still early here in the second stage of my underwater obsession, though far enough along for me to characterize my abode to the few who visit as "the life aquatic". Many of the young fish I've acquired have reached spawning age, the china cabinet in the kitchen hides a 60 gallon rain barrel filled with water processed from my similarly hidden and recently acquired RO/DI unit, and the prosperous and prolific springtime I hoped for has resulted in a slight sense of trepidation as a result of seeming to invariably find fry in tanks if I look too closely. That sort of triggers a sense of vicarious parental obligation and a corresponding degree of additional activity on my part, but hey isn't science wonderful?

I trust that my fellow budding and veteran aquarists will find satisfaction and relative glory this year in their own endeavors. Anyone can own a pet, but not everyone is cut out to be a limnologist. For make no mistake: as soon as you fill a tank up with water, you enter into the science of freshwater biology with all its beauty, complexity and limitless possibility. And for the clever and/or lucky, fecundity, because like everything else in nature, it really is all about sex. Simply speaking, there's just nowhere else you can get all that in such a small space that doesn't require a microscope to observe. Now how cool is that?

Aquariums arent only or just about taking care of fish theyre also about nurturing and cultivating the creative and compassionate aspects of our selves, and thats never a bad thing, even if it takes some of us fifty tanks to do it justice. So go for it. If your tanks are nice on the inside you probably will be as well. And while the oft-cited and storied exceptions to every rule may well account for my own lack of social tact and equanimity, just imagine where/who Id be without fish in my life.

We could all of us do worse than to embrace the salmon as a symbol and model for our own lives they may just be fish, but exemplifying a spawn til you die attitude seems imminently satisfying and appropriate, more so given the uncertainty and brevity of life. And for that I say, Spawn away ye fellow fishkeepers, spawn away.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Very well written. Thanks for sharing your story and views and for inspiring my subsequent reflection as to where I began as a kid keeping fish and how I have grown into a collector of living art.

dogofwar

CCA Members
When can we expect Chapter 2? Kind of like how novels of Charles Dickens were published chapter by chapter :)

When I got back into the hobby in '98 or so my first tank was a 150g full of eartheaters (altrifrons and jurapari), diamond tetras and rainbowfish.

A couple of years later, we bought a house with a 2 car detached garage...a local pet store was remodeling (and selling all of their 2'x2'x1' tanks)...and the rest is history...

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
I would have started your chapter "Call me Samuel", but it is a great read.

I started fish keeping as a child in Florida in the late 1960s, with mostly (perhaps exclusively) wild caught fish, including an American eel caught in a stream off the Arlington river, a tributary of the St. Johns. Gave it up when I went to college and restarted a few years ago when my daughter declared that she wanted to breed guppies. You know the rest.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Wonderfully written article, my friend.

I am glad that you have rediscovered your passion... and continue learn and enjoy.

T

tug

Translation: "This is no time to start think anything, is old hat."

We need to ask questions - why not?
Let's spread some ideas and growth around - learner and learned.
For learned men to unfold their hand and carry a lesson on, requires quality.
The work does not end - when being second to none is required.

Is all of this being new/revisiting something we love (yea, fish and all) really happening?
Or, do you keep large fish tanks to filter the smoke from the room?

We should revisit explanations for any observation any time there's a question and it can be a PITA sometimes.

Avatar, you're fulsome tribute is most likely unappreciated, even overlooked but requires a second thought.
And, I think you're onto something.

:D I couldn't help myself. The opportunity to use fulsome in a sentence was too great.
I wanted to use limnologist and sex in the same sentence but couldn't do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Come down from the ledge - not higher math

We need to ask questions - why not?
Let's spread some ideas and growth around - learner and learned.
For learned men to unfold their hand and carry a lesson on, requires quality.
The work does not end - when being second to none is required.

Is all of this being new/revisiting something we love (yea, fish and all) really happening?
Or, do you keep large fish tanks to filter the smoke from the room?

We should revisit explanations for any observation any time there's a question and it can be a PITA sometimes.

If someone translates your translation, I'm sure it will all become clear as to what if anything was intended beyond what was actually written.

And you should definitely hang on to your day job.
:D

T

tug

I would need more then 30 min. to edit it any further - maybe all you were saying is you like to keep fish, like the idea of being a limnologist and watching sexual activity. I thought you were reaching for something else.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
1.5 out of 4

I would need more then 30 min. to edit it any further - maybe all you were saying is you like to keep fish, like the idea of being a limnologist and watching sexual activity. I thought you were reaching for something else.

So first it needs translating and now it needs editing? Right. Maybe you could just show us how it's done.

For the record, voyeurism has nothing to do with anything unless you're projecting. The reproductive references and scientific parallels are there to illustrate that fishkeeping covers a lot of territory and offers much that is consistent with the larger experience of being alive. For my part, I view living in DC as opposed to some place wild as a poor substitute for my first choice - the "wet" seems to take the edge off of that by providing a pretty good alternative,that unlike sex or religion, is not so personal that it is best kept to oneself, and indeed benefits from community. The only thing that anyone needs to "reach" for to play along is a dip-net, a siphon and some fish food. Long live CCA.

T

tug

We are all here because we love this hobby and the CCA forum. In your case there might be more but nothing a sedative couldn't fix. My apologies for stepping all over an excellent description of the hobby and an outstanding display of your artistic temperament.

It's never wise to poke the bear.

[YT]pBIgyHVp_co[/YT]

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
In your case there might be more but nothing a sedative couldn't fix.

I don't get it.

Sam does an excellent job putting together one of the best-written pieces ever to appear on this forum - something that would honestly take me a week to write (and wouldn't come out to half his quality) and you criticize him (somewhat poorly).

After getting called out, the backhanded put-downs continue.

What's wrong with just being nice?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Ursine delusions

We are all here because we love this hobby and the CCA forum. In your case there might be more but nothing a sedative couldn't fix. My apologies for stepping all over an excellent description of the hobby and an outstanding display of your artistic temperament.

It's never wise to poke the bear.

I'm from Alaska where folks don't poke bears, they bait them. And since cheap shots involving sexual innuendo, drug use and emotional instability are apparently all you're offering, you might consider your own advice.

Shane

Members
Well written. Captures the complexity of our hobby well and the tendency of fish keeping to transform the once aquarist into a naturalist.
-Shane

T

tug

Sorry for the innuendos - I'll try to be more direct.

Be nice? Really? OK, maybe I started it but the little I've seen from Sam, no mater how eloquent, is his talent for browbeating people when he writes. That he thinks his often rude remarks are any better because he keeps fish isn't going to mater to new forum members. In just a few days I have read such comments as sic, "can someone explain this in english" "keep your day job" and a propensity to inflame any topic. Even his own. I have not been a member long enough to know but I'm sure my short list is just the tip of the iceberg.

Other then a roundabout apology for remarks made on an earlier post meant to appease those he hurt. I have seen nothing Sam has posted that didn't turn into a personal attack. There was something about pH being a problem but it was a brief comment that no one payed any attention to. I'm not sure what he even meant. It doesn't matter because there are people on this forum who can discuss an issue without making it into a fire-fight that stepped up to help.

The ability to write long and beautiful is greatly appreciated. Everyone is better off when it's not turned into a personal attack. I am sorry I got caught up in it.

Why make my mistake Tony? What was I being called out on? Being misunderstood, not running from personal attacks? Please feel free to explain or not - don't really care at this point. It is after all, just a hobby.

Beeman

Members
I don't get it.

Sam does an excellent job putting together one of the best-written pieces ever to appear on this forum - something that would honestly take me a week to write (and wouldn't come out to half his quality) and you criticize him (somewhat poorly).

After getting called out, the backhanded put-downs continue.

What's wrong with just being nice?

+1!!!! When a person dares to wear their heart on their sleeve, and wax poetic(as Sam does so well) about a subject we all hold so dear, a man or woman of fine bearing would never stoop to criticize. I for one say thank-you Sam, for putting into words(that we all understand this time:D) what this passion for fish can do for those inclined to see it as more than simply maintaining over-sized fish bowls.
A far wiser man than I once said, "How do I know the universe? By what is within me." To that I add, "How do I know my fishes? By what they have brought me."
Kudos to you Sam, for expressing what we all surely feel. Well done indeed my man. Well done indeed!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Addition by subtraction

Be nice? Really? OK, maybe I started it but the little I've seen from Sam, no mater how eloquent, is his talent for browbeating people when he writes. That he thinks his often rude remarks are any better because he keeps fish isn't going to mater to new forum members. In just a few days I have read such comments as sic, "can someone explain this in english" "keep your day job" and a propensity to inflame any topic. Even his own. I have not been a member long enough to know but I'm sure my short list is just the tip of the iceberg.

Other then a roundabout apology for remarks made on an earlier post meant to appease those he hurt. I have seen nothing Sam has posted that didn't turn into a personal attack. There was something about pH being a problem but it was a brief comment that no one payed any attention to. I'm not sure what he even meant. It doesn't matter because there are people on this forum who can discuss an issue without making it into a fire-fight that stepped up to help.

The ability to write long and beautiful is greatly appreciated. Everyone is better off when it's not turned into a personal attack. I am sorry I got caught up in it.

Why make my mistake Tony? What was I being called out on? Being misunderstood, not running from personal attacks? Please feel free to explain or not - don't really care at this point. It is after all, just a hobby.

I thought to take leave of this, but such naked vitriol begs countenance, and the prospect of satisfying those aggrieved.

"Perhaps I started it..." - your words. As for a "talent for browbeating people" — if that's what it's called when one takes issue with something that seems inane, wrong and/or misleading, and by extension troublesome or potentially injurious to aspiring and veteran fishkeepers and their charges, so be it. I am intemperate at best in relation to the stupidity that holds the world in thrall, and will do what I can to keep it apart from the sanctum of fishrooms. And then there's: "I have seen nothing Sam has posted that didn't turn into a personal attack." Really? If that is the case then either I am indeed a creature most vile or else there is much that you have not seen. In any case I will add rude, inflammatory and vicious to the list of inferences/judgements you've made about my character, but given your acute distaste for whom you imagine me to be, one might well wonder why you even posted on this thread in the first place. I don't, but one might.

Both the negative comments you cite were within my response to your mystifying commentary on my original post, which I qualified with a smiley icon to indicate that it was my way of making a joke. But since you apparently didn't think it was funny (my bad) and thus required that you cast yourself as some sort of literary Zorro to defend the masses from perceived verbal oppression, I promise to never comment on, or read if I can avoid it, another one of your posts. Despite your impressive record of 89 posts in two years, all of them surely pearls of wisdom, this is a sacrifice I am quite willing to make, even though it means I will just have to muddle through without benefit of or recourse to your inestimable wisdom, unparalleled life experience and enviable academic achievements to say nothing of your storied accomplishments in the realm of animal husbandry. Verily this is indeed a bitter blow, but welcome penance for my sins. You are of course under no compulsion to reciprocate and may wail away if and as it pleases you to your heart's content in pointing out any and all instances wherein you perceive that I am being unjust, derogatory, defamatory or anything less than a sterling example and paradigm of virtue, virtual though it may be. Really, go for it. Say whatever you like, it will be as if that for me you no longer exist, and I won't respond. Ever.

In closing I pray you (and all others whom I may have offended) will forgive the unjust perpetration of sinful abuse I have so flagrantly thrust upon thee. Post in peace Mikey, I shall trouble you nevermore. So there - it's over, you win. Be happy.

:party0007::party0003::party0003::party0003:

T

tug

No, you win Sam. Your smart enough to know that. I've stepped in poop and nothing will remove the stink. Enjoy life Sammy. Sorry we both had our little flame out. You'll be fine. Me, I know there's no returning.

Isaiah 54:16; I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
So I lied - sue me

Hey neighbor-

If that's an apology here's another: sorry for my role in the dust-up.

Stick around. It's all good, and what's not is forgotten.

Rock on