• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A. Hongsloi II had babies unexpectedly

sundragon

Members
Total novice, my first brood, I'm not prepared :eek:

Brine shrimp was my first thought but it takes a few days to hatch and feed, I don't know how long these little guys have been here so I need to get something tomorrow - Any recommendations on preprepared foods?

Second thought, if these guys survive, I'm gonna need to find homes for them :eek:

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I'll some when they are ready. Good luck. I had success direct feeding the cloud Hikari first bites. Golden Pearls also works. I had the greatest success when I dropped a few into my shrimp tank after they got a little size.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Tomorrow, your best hope is Hikari First Bites, as Prince recommended. Longer term, Golden Pearls are great. Microworms would be good too.

rsretep

Members
Decapsulated brine shrimp may also b an option. Btw to hatch brine shrimp only takes 24 hours, I keep my hatchery at room temp. And can harvest in 24hours

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Confirmation

Hikari First Bites do actually work and are available even at Petsmart/PetCo.

Was told that the yolk of a hard-boild egg works well but it can/does cloud the water though a little bit goes a long way.

If you do manage to get some to decent size wold be happy to trade some Apisto juveniles of a different species.

sundragon

Members
Thank you all on the advice!

I'll look for the Hikari First Bites, and Golden Pearls as well tomorrow.

I'll also try to get some brine shrimp and hatch them - I'm new to doing that as well and I didn't want to change another day if I mess it up, haha. When the shrimp hatch, I'll alternate shrimp and the other food.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Golden pearls

Thank you all on the advice!

I'll look for the Hikari First Bites, and Golden Pearls as well tomorrow.

I'll also try to get some brine shrimp and hatch them - I'm new to doing that as well and I didn't want to change another day if I mess it up, haha. When the shrimp hatch, I'll alternate shrimp and the other food.
I don't think any LFS carries Golden Pearls, but I could be wrong. I think you have to mail order those. First Bites will be carried by any store.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
If your in or near southern Maryland I have some gold pearls you can have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
It can foul water very quickly, but egg yolk is a possible first fry food.

I would only use it in a fry-only tank and I would do massive daily water changes.

eden2020

Members
Curious- The first time I have heard of golden pearls.. Must be out of the loop. What size is recommended as a step up from the first bite. Micron recommendation.

Thanks - Marc and family

verbal

CCA Members
Curious- The first time I have heard of golden pearls.. Must be out of the loop. What size is recommended as a step up from the first bite. Micron recommendation.

Thanks - Marc and family

http://www.yourfishstuff.com/golden-pearls-fry-and-coral-reef-food/

Explanation of Microns:

5-50 microns: Infusoria- Great for Reef Tanks and the Smallest of Fry
50-100 microns: Rotifer Size 1- Great for Reefs and Very Small Fry like Rainbowfish

100-200 microns: Rotifer Size 2 -Great for Betta Fry & Reef Tanks

200-300 microns: Artemia Size 1-Great for Reefs; Small Fry Tanks

300-500 microns: Artemia Size 2-Great for Fry Tanks- Equal to Newly hatched Brine Shrimp

500-800 microns: Weaning Diet- Great for Guppies and Cichlid fry

I think First Bites are probably roughly 200 to 300 microns. I think these are helpful for apisto or angel fry(if they will go for it).

The next size up would be Brine Shrimp size, which is probably what you want if you are moving from First Bites.

The 500 micron is the same as 0.5 mm New Life Spectrum in terms of size.

eden2020

Members
Excellent..

Great info.. I am feeding cichlid fry.. Labs, Haps, and shellies.

I currently use first bites and then ground flake.. This sounds like a great option..

I'm thinking of trying 200-300 and 500-800..

Don't care for any NLS. I won't get into it, but that's not an option for me..

Thanks!

-marc and family

verbal

CCA Members
For the mouthbrooders and shellies. I think you could start with brine shrimp replacement(300 to 500 micron) for the fry you list. They don't need anything smaller.

Crushed flake or micro pellets of any brand should work once they get a little bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JasonC

Members
IMHO, the 300-500 micron size is way bigger than newly hatched brine shrimp and my baby apistos could not eat them as first foods.... in fact at about a month and a half, the largest of them are only just able to take them. Contrary to that, they were able to take BBS from day one.

definitely love the stuff though. Used 50 - 100 size as first food this time around, but I think that is too small, and too wasteful. I am going to pick up the 200-300 size for the next time I have fry to give that size a try.

Jmty

Members
congrats and i volunteer to take some of those , can have some of mine got 3 diferent one spawning this week.