• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A Foster Puppy. I may be in trouble

Some of you know I do a lot of dog rescue work, some of it recently has been international. This is Faradah (means Unique is Arabic, apparently) He's a five month old Saluki puppy born in the desert of Qatar. He came to us last week. I'm going to be fostering him just for the week. At least that's the plan

Repeat after me -- I do not need a puppy. I do not need a puppy

farris.jpg

londonloco

Members
Aww Holly, he's beautiful. I also foster, but have never "failed" with one, I have always found forever homes for them. I figure if I adopted one of my fosters, I wouldn't be open to foster another (I have two of my own). Not being able to help another defeats the purpose of what we are doing. Find him a good home and move on to the next one.

CichlidOWNR

Members
Any Southern Illinois University alumni would be proud of this example of their mascot. Very nice looking puppy. Good luck finding a new home for this puppy.

Becca

Members
We fostered and never really "failed." I mean we did adopt our last foster, but we were also ready to be done fostering for a while and he is a good fit.

Beautiful puppy! I don't think I've ever seen a Saluki in person before.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Holly - is the pup with the fluffy tail behind the Saluki also yours? Don't remember that one :)

Matt

No the pupster in the back is a Spanish galgo, which my group also rescued and brought over, but is not mine.

These salukis have amazing temperaments. They're literally abandoned in the desert and in some cases hit by cars and left on the side of the road, and they get picked up by volunteers (mostly ex pats) and sent to the USA and get off the plane wagging their tails and giving kisses. Unbelievably resilient dogs.

I've already foster failed with one previous dog, so I have a bad record!

thedavidzoo

Members
Holly, what is the organization you work with? I had to look up Spanish Galgo. Wow, sad how such dogs are treated in Spain...

My group is The Sighthound Underground. We have a web site, Facebook page and blog. Yeah, the galgos are horribly, horribly mistreated. And they are fabulous dogs. We work with several shelters in Spain (also run by mostly ex pats) and are getting in maybe four dogs a month now that flights have resumed with the cooler weather. It's a slow process -- two crates per ticketed passenger.

If you want to know more, drop me a PM.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
That puppy's really cute! I hope he finds a good home. I'd take him but my mom would kill me if I brought home a dog.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
hmm, what a nice dog!!! I can see why you are tempted

on that note, if you ever get a basenji, let me know

I don't think basenjis are sighthounds -- although I could be wrong. We do everything from Italian greyhounds to borzoi (Russian wolfhounds) as long as they're sighthounds . . .

msjinkzd

invert junkie
From wiki:
The Basenji is a breed of hunting dog that was bred from stock originating in central Africa. Most of the major kennel clubs in the English-speaking world place the breed in the Hound Group; more specifically, it may be classified as belonging to the sighthound type. The Fédération Cynologique Internationale places the breed in Group 5, Spitz and Primitive types, and the United Kennel Club (US) places the breed in the Sighthound & Pariah Group.

I didn't think of them as one either, but that is what wiki says.