• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A "clattering" Fluval 305

So one of my Fluvals has started making a bit of noise. I opened it yesterday and cleaned the impeller, etc., and put it back together and it didn't change anything. It's working just fine. Any thoughts? I did not clean the filter in any other way, just the impeller . . .

Andrew

Members
The impeller probably was dislodged. When you cleaned it you got it back where it belonged. It's possible that the small bushings at the ends of the axle need to be replaced.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
OK. I'll order an impeller. I should have said it kept making the noise even after I cleaned the impeller . . .

The impellar may be fine. Check where the impellar shaft enters and exits (I know someone will make a snarky comment) the impellar to ensure that these points on the impellar are properly shaped. If so, you could probably just get a new impellar shaft and be fine.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd guess the impeller, but it could be the shaft.

I recently had this happen with an Eheim 2028. I replaced the whole impeller assembly.

Well, you know me. So I went ahead and ordered a whole new filter!! Mostly because the 305 is discontinued and I like the 305 and 405s I have and I don't know if the new ones will fit the tubing that I have and swapping all that out is a pain. I already have a back-up NIB 405. So now I'll swap out the impeller and head of the filter and be good to go! Is there any issue with continuing to run the filter until the swap?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I agree that there shouldn't be any issue with running it for now. Just check on it every now and then to make sure it is still running.