• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A Billion Dollars

I was reading yesterday that FEMA is trying to recover about $500 million of the money's dispursed during Katrina. One of the contributors did a cost analysis of the recovery and said that the man hours and paperwork that would be involved in the recovery would end up costing the government about $2.6 billion. Makes sense doesnt it.

Sonny Disposition

Katrina was an unusual situation, where payments didn't go directly to the people who suffered the biggest losses, but went instead to lots of contractors, who subcontracted, and subcontracted again, and then maybe subcontracted a time or two again. Lots of money getting divided up, but not getting to the people who actually need it.

We live in the greatest country in the world, and part of the reason for that is the taxes we pay.

Like the roads we all drive on, the tapwater we use, the pipes that carry the wastewater away from most of our homes.

Taxes financed the development of the computers we all use. Taxes paid for and (still pay for) virtually all the health research that gets done, and are the reason most of us don't die from some infectious disease. Haemophilus influenzae, for example, was the number one cause of acquired mental retardation, up until the early 1980s. Now, thanks to a vaccine developed directly by government scientists, it's virtually unknown in the developed world.

There are a lot of places in the world that don't have any--or don't have many--taxes. I haven't done a survey, but I'll bet a lot of those places don't have paved roads, or fire departments, or safe drinking water, or public sewage systems, or garbage men to haul trash away either.

And one last thing--taxes paid for the hall where we hold our monthly meetings.

We'd all like more disposable income, and we'd all like our hard earned dollars spent in the most efficient way possible.

But there are too sides to every coin, and that forward only told one side.

What the heck happened?????</span></span>[/b]

</span>
[/b][/quote]

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Oh, I know.
Half of our income comes from the Army. (Tracey) Its just the size of a Billion. People get too adjusted to hearing the numbers. They dont think about numbers in my opinion. Take sports as an example. Some one just signed for 30 million over two years the other day. Baseball. $15,000.000.00 a year. In baseball terms, thats not a lot of money. But the average person making $40,000 per year working their but off would have to work for 375 years to make what that middle tier ball player makes in one year. And I heard the guy on the sports channel say "thats all" "they got a bargin there"
People loose perspective with big numbers. Its gets too easy to spend the big numbers when you don't put them into perspective.

Sonny Disposition

I agree with you Pat, that a billion is a lot of money. I just think the guy that wrote that note originally doesn't like paying his taxes. No one does, but because we pay taxes, it helps to ensure we live in a civilized society.

Oh, I know.
Half of our income comes from the Army. (Tracey) Its just the size of a Billion. People get too adjusted to hearing the numbers. They dont think about numbers in my opinion. Take sports as an example. Some one just signed for 30 million over two years the other day. Baseball. $15,000.000.00 a year. In baseball terms, thats not a lot of money. But the average person making $40,000 per year working their but off would have to work for 375 years to make what that middle tier ball player makes in one year. And I heard the guy on the sports channel say "thats all" "they got a bargin there"
People loose perspective with big numbers. Its gets too easy to spend the big numbers when you don't put them into perspective.
[/b]