• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

90 Gallon Final Stocking Plans

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have narrowed down the choices to stock my soon to be set up 90 gallon tank. Tank will contain PFS, manzanita and malaysian driftwood, a few rocks, and some hardy plants.

Currently the plans are to build a community tank around the following fish:

6-8 Geophagus sp. 'Red Head Tapajos'
15-20 Corydoras Sterbai
6-10 roseline barbs
2 fancy plecos (Peckoltia spp.)

I'm looking for a few dithers and maybe another small species to round out the tank. I've considered some of the following fish as possible tankmates, but need to narrow down the options. Please feel free to offer any advice on pros/cons of the choices, or any practical experience. Assume small groups of juveniles until maturity is reached.

Rainbowfish (as dithers)
Large tetras (as dithers)
Acaras
Festivum
Angels
Bolivian Rams
German Rams
Hatchetfish

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Mike:

I think that you will have plenty of action in the tank with the geos and the denisons barbs, so I personally would stay away from a group of rainbows - just too much action. A shoal of larger tetras would be cool - I always liked lemons or penguins.

A pair of one of the more colorful acaras would fit in nice - diadama or metae.

Hatchets are tough - cool fish but they always manage to find some way to jump out of the tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
They had some nice large silver hatchets at HOT a few weeks ago.

I'd go with some festivums or angels to finish off the tank. The geos will hang near the bottom. Festivum, especially, hang at the top (especially if there's a big piece of driftwood)...

Matt

Matt

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Not sure about the others, but sterbai are warm water (upper 70s) fish. I believe the roseline barbs prefer cooler temps (as low as the 60s).

Blaise

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Big Fun

2 adult Geos in a 75 is a lot - hard for me to imagine 6-8 in a 90 would be very happy once they get big. Hatchetfish definitely seem to have a death or desiccation wish.

You must really like the rose-line barbs which I will admit are quite stunning to include them in an otherwise SA tank. Agree that rainbows are very rambunctious, and likely to change the whole internal dynamic/mood of the tank. If you're staring with all juveniles hard to go wrong with either angels or Bolivian rams as tankmates.

Don't listen to any of us - do what makes your heart good.

Beeman

Members
Ok, are you peeking over my shoulder Michael? I could have posted your opening msg!!! I am setting up the same size tank, same substrate, although I am reconsidering going with eco-complete, as the more I study planted tanks, I might create a jungle! Driftwood yes, but I'm collecting my own. And, most of the same fish. Best of luck, and we'll HAVE to compare notes as things progress. Where will you find the acaras? I haven't seen any mention of them on this forum. Anybody in the group breeding aequidens? I'm also considering a small group of biotodomas cupido. Barry

toddnbecka

Members
I like Colombian tetras for colorful, active dithers. Wouldn't recommend the roselines though, they will outgrow the tank.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks for the advice Jon, Matt, and Todd. Would the rams have too much competition for floor space with the geos?

Not sure about the others, but sterbai are warm water (upper 70s) fish. I believe the roseline barbs prefer cooler temps (as low as the 60s).

Blaise

Thanks for the info. The tank the sterbai are currently in runs about 78. Info I read for roselines lists ranges from mid 60s to mid 70s, so I think if I tone it back a little both could be happy.

2 adult Geos in a 75 is a lot - hard for me to imagine 6-8 in a 90 would be very happy once they get big. Hatchetfish definitely seem to have a death or desiccation wish.
Aren't you referring to altifrons? The red heads get about half their size. I thought these guys did well in small groups.

Ok, are you peeking over my shoulder Michael? I could have posted your opening msg!!! I am setting up the same size tank, same substrate, although I am reconsidering going with eco-complete, as the more I study planted tanks, I might create a jungle! Driftwood yes, but I'm collecting my own. And, most of the same fish. Best of luck, and we'll HAVE to compare notes as things progress. Where will you find the acaras? I haven't seen any mention of them on this forum. Anybody in the group breeding aequidens? I'm also considering a small group of biotodomas cupido. Barry

Good luck with the tank Barry. I haven't looked for sources for the acaras since I haven't finalized my stocking list yet. Cupidos were another name a few people mentioned, so that was a possibility for me as well. Still not positive exactly how the rest will shaoe up, but I'm looking forward to the process.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Have you considered dovii? They will be of best friends with the red heads....

Perhaps a nice group of 5-6 adults?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I wouldn't put rams with this group...too small and fragile with red heads.

Matt
Thanks Matt, need some reasons to narrow down the list.

I was actually thinking motaguense, hear they're pretty social.

Ok, so I'm crossing hatchets, rams, and most likely rainbows off the list. I'm still not big on angels. Would a school of tetras, pair of festivum, and a pair of acaras be too much?

I looked at That Fish Place's website and they have a few fish in stock that I'm interested in, so I may make the trip up there next weekend. I hear they're having an awesome speaker for the ACLC meeting. They're out of stock of biotodoma and guinacara at the moment, but they do have festivum. Anyone have experience with Acaronia nassa?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Stay clear of any Parachromis (even motas). They're Central American and will eat / kill the others.

Acaronia nassa are great fish... Have a pair with similar cichlids (but they have big mouths and would probably try to eat your tetras)...

I'd go with either a pair of acaras or festivums. Festivums would be better as they'd be in a different part of the tank than acaras.

Rapps has some nice ones now (www.tangledupincichlids.com)"

Mesonauta insignius ‘Negro’ 3-3.5” 15.00 seldom imported wild Rio Negro ‘festivum’ or Rio Negro ‘flag cichlid’

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
All kidding aside, I believe red heads will do better in groups. Most folks who have successfully bed them are keeping groups rather than pairs. I have a pair and they beat on each other pretty regularly. I've never had any breeding occur.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I think a turtle would complete your community...

Matt

Diamondback Terrapin sound good?

Why cross off the rainbows? I have them with my black belts and they make great dithers.

A few peple seemed to think they'd be a little too active. Any particular types more mellow than others? I'm particular to the boesemani, but there are many beautiful types.

Stay clear of any Parachromis (even motas). They're Central American and will eat / kill the others.

Acaronia nassa are great fish... Have a pair with similar cichlids (but they have big mouths and would probably try to eat your tetras)...

I'd go with either a pair of acaras or festivums. Festivums would be better as they'd be in a different part of the tank than acaras.

Rapps has some nice ones now (www.tangledupincichlids.com)"

Mesonauta insignius Negro 3-3.5 15.00 seldom imported wild Rio Negro festivum or Rio Negro flag cichlid

Matt

I guess I'll stay away from Parachromis. Probably leaning towards festivum.

All kidding aside, I believe red heads will do better in groups. Most folks who have successfully bed them are keeping groups rather than pairs. I have a pair and they beat on each other pretty regularly. I've never had any breeding occur.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Great, I like the idea of a medium-sized group. Can't wait to set this tank up!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Originally Posted by Tony

I was actually thinking motaguense, hear they're pretty social.

5-6 ADULT DOVII IN A 90G???? SERIOUSLY??? NOT A GOOD IDEA.
MOTAGUENSE ARE BY NO MEANS SOCIAL. SOCIOPATH IS MORE LIKE IT LOL!
IF YOU WANNA TRY A JAGUAR, MANAGUENSE, THEN IT MAY WORK IF YOU GET HIM SMALL AND GROW HIM OUT W/ THEM. EVEN THEN NO GUARANTEE IT DEPENDS ON THE TEMPERAMENT.