• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

55 gallon stocking

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't see why it wouldn't. I'd throw in some schooling fish to give the tank some action and help the cichlids come out some. Maybe giant danios, rainbow fish, or larger tetras.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think tiger barbs would work fine as well. The reason I suggest the dithers is that I think when small, the cichlids may feel a bit out in the open and will hide most of the time. The dithers help them feel more secure. If you don't want them, don't put them in. If your fish are already adult size, this wouldn't be as big an issue. It's your tank, so do what you like.

The JD shouldn't bother the pleco as long as they are similar sizes to start with. If you throw a 1" pleco in with an 8" JD, the pleco will be a snack.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My ebjd are very skittish, especially the ones under 4". In a 55 with a hiding ebjd and bristlenose, the tank will look rather empty with just the cutteri in view imo.

Sent from my DROIDX

jonclark96

Past CCA President
My experience is that neither JD's nor cutteri are "killers" unless they are defending a spawn. With a single specimen of each, I don't think you will have issues. They are not on the same aggression/territorial scale of parachromis or amphilophus.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Oh dear

Have to agree - why not try and spawn something? It makes the world go round, changes a tank from an organic TV into a far more interesting and potentially life-giving engine, and may additionally provide specimens/trade goods to the fellows/fellines(?) in your your community (that'd be us!).

Just swim a mile in your fishes fins - how would a life of confinement look to you without any possibility of conjugal bliss? (You don't have to answer that) :D

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Where's our resident expert when he's needed?

Could it be they're the same gender? Think I know a "dog" that might be able to set you up with a pair through trade if that's the case.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Refuge

Give her someplace(s) to go where he can't follow. Am guessing that if/once you add some other fish (dithers) that he may modify/redirect his aggression.

So someone is selling some jewel cichlids and salvinis and I've always loved these cichlids but could never find them. So could i do this instead?
1-jewel
1-salvini
1-cutteri
8-tiger barbs
If not ill just do the other stocking.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app