• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

3.6 Earthquake hits the Rockville Area!

iamzrad

Members
http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/state/residents-say-they-have-felt-an-earthquake-hit-overnight

Earthquake_Hits_Maryla5d371e67-c9a8-4496-a8d2-c7e7ec63ac4e0000_20100716074633_320_240.JPG

GERMANTOWN, Md. - A minor earthquake shook residents awake in the DC area early Friday.
The quake hit at 5:04 a.m. EDT and had a magnitude of 3.6.
The quake was centered in the Rockville, Md., area said Randy Baldwin, a physicist with U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center.
Police in Washington and in nearby Montgomery County, Md., said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
On the U.S. Geological Survey's website, people as far away as Pennsylvania and West Virginia reported feeling the quake.

I'm from California and left after the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989 (7.1 as I recall and something I did not want to feel again). I was MOST unhappy at 5 a.m. this morning. I kept thinking -- it's an earthquake, not it can't be, it's an earthquake, but this is Maryland.

ugh!!

Cartel

Members
This is like every couple months for those from socal. I was in the 94 7.6 quake in LA that was not fun at 4am nor was having to sleep outside for a couple nights. Goes to show your not safe anywhere! If we can get a baby quake who's to say we can't get a big boy?

dogofwar

CCA Members
It woke me up... and there was a small aftershock about 10 mins afterward...

Atleast the babies slept through it / didn't wake up ;)

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Maria and I woke up immediately.... we looked over and saw Elvis at attention and Timmy sleeping soundly. Had no idea what it was. Maria even got up to go look at the front of the house to see if a truck ran into the house.

Reminded me of when I was growing up down the road off of 28 and they'd be blasting at the LaFarge quarry... only 10 seconds straight of shaking.

Pretty cool!

Bob - I didn't check the fishroom, but it was more a slight vibration. (hopefully) nothing that could mess up the tanks.... hopefully. :p

longstocking

Members
I woke up... thought earthquake... went back to bed thinking.. nah i'm in Maryland now :lol:

the 89 and 94 earthquakes were bad in cali....

normally I don't get out of bed for them though :lol:

Jumbie

Members
I jumped up when it happened I thought it was thunder at first but the rumbling lasted to long to be thunder. I went outside with the dog a few minuets after and was surprised that it wasn’t thundering storming. I came in shaking my head thinking...earthquake naaaa this is Maryland LOL.

Bob all my fish tanks check out to be ok...no leaks.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I slept right through it this morning. When I kissed my wife goodbye, she asked what was shaking the house and I though she was just dreaming until I heard the news report on the way to work.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
For some strange apparent reason I woke up at least 15 seconds before it hit.

I got up out of bed to shut my balcony door and adjust my blinds because the Sun was slowly coming up. Nonetheless, I shut the door and locked it, but it unlocked by itself and I thought that was weird.:wacko:

When all of the sudden the floor underneath me began to shake and it felt like there was a subway under my house. At first, I thought I slammed the door too hard and the balcony was falling off the house, but then I realized OMG it's an Earthquake. No Way!:angry:

First thing that came to mind was watching CNN last night and seeing BP capping the oil leak. A scientist was being interviewed on the what was going to happen now that the oil had no where to go and if the oil pressure build up would create more damage to the area. He said that there could be ramifications through out the region with oil pressure building in the earth's core. Earthquake maybe??? But how could we have gotten an Earthquake and we're so far away from the gulf. Just weird thinking on my part.

It was pretty scary though. I lived here all my life and the only Earthquake I can remember was the one that hit Ellicott City a while back.

Hopefully we don't get any aftershocks. BTW, I checked my tanks and thank G they're okay.

RM

I lived in Northridge for the 94 quake, rode my bed across the bedroom in that one.

I thought EQ the second it woke me up, took me 5 mins to convince my wife though, THEN she had to sit down. :)

minifoot77

Members
i liked in california for more than 20 years and all this talk of a little earthquake makes me laugh i was in candle stick park for the san fran one and i was in down town ferndale for that one too. the second one i was eating brunch with my mom at our favorite dive and i saw the huge plate glass window bend like in the matrix and the explode...