• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

2 week old angel fry dying, now OK

bschuhart

Members
A few days ago my 2 week old angel fry began dying. This was my biggest batch of fry to date. First about 5 then the next day 25. So I did a 50% water change and the next day another 25. After I came home from the CCA meeting a few more were dead. The folks from the CCA suggested unhatch brine shrimp eggs could be the issue or maybe Velvet.

What I did was to separate the fish into 3 separate tanks and lowered the temp from 82 to 78., they were all in a 20H, when I did this I realaized there must have been close to 200 fry, WOW!

Today none died and I still have about 125 left.

The conclusion I've come up with is there was too many fry in the 20H.

I found a few interesting articles on the effects of feeding unhatched brine eggs. I will post this separate.

fischfan13

Banned
When I bred Angels this is what I would do:

Daily water changes of 50%.
Small tanks are the best...5 or 10 gallon tanks.
Ph of 7.4
Sponge filter and plants...preferably Water Sprite.
Feed about 4 times per day, newly hatched brine shrimp.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Something I do to ensure fry tanks stay pristine is to add a chunk of polyfilter - it absorbs ammonia and other nasties and turns dark to let you know it's working

it doesn't replace water changes but never hurts

another approach is to keep the fry in a breeder net in an otherwise empty bare bottom tank with a bunch of sponge filters. 40 breeders work well... You can concentrate feedings to the fry in the net and easily do water changes without worrying about suck g up fry...easy water change means I'm likely to do it

Matt

mrkillie

Members
When I bred Angels this is what I would do:

Daily water changes of 50%.
Small tanks are the best...5 or 10 gallon tanks.
Ph of 7.4
Sponge filter and plants...preferably Water Sprite.
Feed about 4 times per day, newly hatched brine shrimp.

With angels, a minimum of 50% daily water change is absolutely necessary to get good fin development. Start them in small tanks-5 gals worked best for me. After 1 week, move to a 10. Then after another week, split them and move them into 20Hs. After 2 weeks, move them to 55s or split them again into more 20Hs. I used sponge filters only. Plants not necessary, but can help provide microorganisms for the angels to graze on, and pH can be from about 6.6-7.4. Small feedings of newly hatched BS as often as you can-at least 3x daily and 5-6 if you you can. They'll be quarter body size with good finnage in 10 weeks. I sold thousands to pet shops in the early 90s.

Joel

bschuhart

Members
I do the 50% a day water changes, and only use a sponge filter. Water temp 82.

I'm have platnum angels.
My first batch I raised Sept 26- Dec 29 to Quarter size - 47 made it to the store for sale. Not many loses, maybe 10 fish during the first week, nothing after that and all but 2 turned out with good color and fins. I only have 2- 20H and 2 - 29's to grow them out. I NEED MORE TANKS, but just getting started with the breeding thing.

bschuhart

Members
Does anyone know how I can get my angel breeders to stop spawning? It's like clock work every 7-9 days. If I take the slate out they spawn on the side glass. I just don't have the tank space to raise more than one batch at a time. FOR NOW.