• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

12g nano cube ideas

Beeman

Members
Just picked up a 12g nano cube from a friend at work who is voluming up. Couldn't pass up a good deal! Now, what to stock it with? I was thinking about shellies, but I admit no knowledge with these little guys. So, I thought I'd throw it out to the group for ideas. Killies are also on my list of possibilities, but the shellies strike me as being more novel on the whole. Ideas anyone?

Depends on which shellies you get. I have three of the remaining hundreds, of N. multifasciatus. I originally started with 5 pairs and ended up for literally over a hundred of them in a 55 gallon tank. But they are fun and full of personality.

I know that there are others here who have dealt with the other shellies.

Arlene

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
There a few species that would work in a 12 gallon tank. In my opinion, multies, brevis, and ornatipinnis should work.

N. Multifasciatus will live in colonies in large shell piles. However, they breed faster than rabbits, lol, and you'll soon be overrun with them. But they have interesting breeding behavior as all of the adults care for the fry. In fact, the fry are often corralled into "nurseries" where they are guarded by one or two adults at all times. The older fry will also guard the younger ones. I have had a 1/2" fry defend an "eyelash" fry from a Julie. The multies won, lol.

N. Brevis usually live in pairs and sometimes harems. They are a pretty laid back shellie and one of my personal favorites. My Brevis have usually tolerated other pairs around even when spawning and usually tolerate their fry for a very long time. My brevis currently reside in a 55 gallon with calvus, bns, and cyps. They school with the calvus and cyps. They don't discriminate, lol.

L. Ornatipinnis are very pretty shellies. In my experience they do well in single pairs but don't really like anyone else around including their older fry.

L. Stappersi and L. Speciosus could also work as long as there are sight breaks and kept in pairs. My stapps have paired off then tried to kill all the others in the tank. My Speciosus are now doing the same. Both of these species are very stunning.

In my personal experience, L. Ocellatus need more space due to the higher levels of aggression and territoriality. In small spaces, sight breaks are not enough to deter them from beating the crud out of someone. At least thats how it worked with mine.

I hope this helps! If you have any specific questions regarding these guys don't hesitate to ask!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Have you considered New World?

One can breed any number of alluring species in a 12 gallon bio-cube including angelfish, any apistogramma or dwarf cichlid, most Corydoras, and I'm guessing even Keyhole cichlids, Krobia, etc. Any of the Asian anabantoid/betta-types will likely spawn as well and for my money and space are far cooler than multis and other run of the mill Lake species.

I had Betta patoti spawn in an 8 gallon bio-cube and have some Australian gobies in there now that look like they're ready to do the same.

Have to like the bio-cubes - they're like jewel boxes. Had to restrain myself from buying a used 29 one with stand last week for $125 because I just don't have any room for it.

No wrong decision here for you - and just how cool is that?