• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

125g Angel Tank

fischfan13

Banned
Yes I am in the correct forum...the New World forum.

I need a calming tank. I need a tank that I can watch from a couch.
I need to turn my 125g tank into an Angel tank.
All ideas will be listened to.
All tankmates too.
Tetras.
Cories.
Maybe even a group of a larger-type Pencilfish.

Thanks.

YSS

Members
Angels are nice but how about some discus? There are two very reputable discus guys under the name of NJ Discus. They are a sponsor on simplydiscus.com. You can mix the two and have a great mix.

verbal

CCA Members
For cories gold lasers and sterbai are my personal favorites.

IMO any South American tank should have some plecos :) There are tons of options that can work in the 125, but the Peckolita or Panaqolous are probably the best.

For tetras - large cardinals are a great option. I think diamond tetras are a little underrated, and deep bodied enough to not be eaten. Hatchet fish are also a great option.

ddavila06

Members
dont forget your dwarf cichlids =)
love apistos..nannacaras are nice too'
a group of a dozen or two gold lazers must be awesome! i do not have any yet but im drooling on the idea to get some.
can defenitly have some plecos..many dwarf species out there..

sand or gravel? to wood or not to wood? the hardscape will make a difference on the fish choice i think.
anyways, pictures required! have fun

You will definitely want to add some plants in there, Bill! And wood.

My angels get along with ember tetras, emerald eye rasboras and plecos. I also have two pairs of keyhole cichlids in my tank too and they all play nicely.

Arlene

fischfan13

Banned
The tank has Malaysian Driftwood and will get more. Also I will be adding Manzanita.
A nice bed of sand...with pool filter sand being on top.

A few small Discus sound fine.
Cardinal Tetras sound like a potential snack for the Angels.
I absolutely love many of the Peckoltia, as a matter of fact I was trying to see if anyone in The States has L135, L140 or L288.
I have never been a fan of Hatchets.
Apistos would be cool.
My ears are wide open to the choice of Cories.
Plants? Absolutely!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sounds like your finaticism came through alright

I have a lot of angels - Biotodoma cupido are far more restful and luminescent in my estimation and I have some really nice angels. It's maybe down to taste at this point but you should check them out. Angels and discus both seem to need to be crowded or paired to diminish snarkiness as well...Acarichthys heckelii are amazingly tranquil except during feeding (easy) and spawning (hard/rare). I have all 4 species co-mingled in various dense low-light planted combinations if you want a look at my notions of and approximations/attempts at serene.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sure

IME Geos work with just about anything - like big mellow dogs that keep to themselves and tend to prevent anyone else from getting too assertive. Are also more sensitive to water quality than many New Worlds species.

fishman13

Members
The tank has Malaysian Driftwood and will get more. Also I will be adding Manzanita.
A nice bed of sand...with pool filter sand being on top.

A few small Discus sound fine.
Cardinal Tetras sound like a potential snack for the Angels.
I absolutely love many of the Peckoltia, as a matter of fact I was trying to see if anyone in The States has L135, L140 or L288.
I have never been a fan of Hatchets.
Apistos would be cool.
My ears are wide open to the choice of Cories.
Plants? Absolutely!

You can never go wrong with jungle vals. I used to keep a planted amazon tank when I was in middle school with a breeding pair of silver angles, and some tetras. A couple of amazon swords and my favorite plant of all. WATER WISTERIA!!!!!!!!!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Tapajos II will get too big and eat tetras.

I have the pair that you brought to the auction a couple of years ago... The male's pushing 8" and the female a little smaller.

Matt

fischfan13

Banned
Tapajos II will get too big and eat tetras.

I have the pair that you brought to the auction a couple of years ago... The male's pushing 8" and the female a little smaller.

Matt

Shhhhh, don't tell my son...he was bummed when I moved that fish out.
So are the Tapajos too big for Cories? How about some of the larger Tetra's? Black Tetras?

The tank is a slow work in progress.
Substrate has been added today...Red Sea Flora Base Plant Substrate, which is over some sand.
I have picked up driftwood and some fish will be put into the tank next weekend.