• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

10g won't stop clouding

Scorp1us

Members
I've got a 10g with about 8 fish in it, 0.75 I have some rocks for shelter and a little substrate. I can't ever go a few days without the water clouding up.

I transfer about 5g from my main 120 to it.
Within 3 days it is all cloudy again. Meanwhile the water in the main tank is just fine. The 10g just has a 10g in-tank filter. Should I beef that up?

Should I replace the black filter sponge with activated charcoal?

Last edited:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
What pray tell is an in-tank filter?

Forget charcoal. You just need better/more filtration/bacteria.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. I'd get a sponge filter to supplement the internal filter. Keep up on the water changes until the bacteria gets built up.

Scorp1us

Members
Well I put some ammonia removing media in there an in 3 days it had it fixed. There's no charcoal now though, and it's perfectly clear.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Eventually

That media will soon lose its ability to bind/break down ammonia and your tank will go back to being cloudy. If you get enough bacteria established they'll do the same job biologically - forever/ Self-replicating, never need replacing and free.

Simplicity is king.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLqj7kzRZbA

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
You could move some seeded media from your big tank's filter into the filter on your 10g. That would help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Scorp1us

Members
Well it was a cheap chinese 20g filter. I rather liked it. But it died yesterday and took my 30 new fry with it. :-( Now I have an aqueon 30g in tank filter.