• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

All the leaves may be brown, but...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
We love leaves. Specifically, leaves of the Indian Almond Tree, Terminalia catappa.

Of course, we figured that you kind of know that already.

These trees are found throughout the world, specifically in tropical locales, such as Asia, Africa, and Australia. Well, not all Catappa leaves are the same! These have an awesome story behind them!

My good friend, Jake Adams, Sr. Editor of the wildly popular marine aquarium hobby blog, Reef Builders, recently spent some time on a coral farm in Raja Ampat, Indonesia, where these trees are abundant on the property. As one of he aquarium world's most diversified and talented "watermen" (he keeps both marine and freshwater animals at a very high level), things like Catappa leaves don't escape his view. He's an obsessive aquarist, with a great appreciation for natural systems and aquatic diversity. he's also a dear friend, and knew my obsession with them as well! (click to read more)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have not found a way to use the leaves where they don't clog my canister or clog my mattenfilter. Perhaps it is the type of leaf or the amount of water movement. I like the look when the tank has leaves covering the bottom. Maybe one day I'll get it to work to my liking.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
I have not found a way to use the leaves where they don't clog my canister or clog my mattenfilter. Perhaps it is the type of leaf or the amount of water movement. I like the look when the tank has leaves covering the bottom. Maybe one day I'll get it to work to my liking.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Good point- one which keeps a lot of people from using leaves. Of course, you can laws use catappa extract or "Betta Spa"- but I am experimenting with using leaves and other botanicals in media reactors, which effectively keeps them out of the tank, while still providing the benefits! You might want to look into that!

-Scott