• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Problems in paridise (Sick Fish need help)

So normaly i would search the fourms a little better but right now i'm tryin to save the fishies but i need help. so i got some neons fro petco and in a rush i didn't quarentine them. bad i know, and then i put them in with three ropefish....i know i know they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouth. but the last bunch of rope i had never eat anything cause i keep them well fed. these guys WAY diffrent and with in two days three rope ate 20 neons. that was a week ago. back to the real problem at hand. so i noticed today that one was not doing sohot he has a messed up fin and milky skin around his head and his nose tenticals are missing. of the other two one has simmilar skin issues and nostril problems. any advise or insight would be good

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

i don't know anything about ropefish. But with any illness, the first step is to check your water parameters. Make sure you have no ammonia and nitrite and low nitrates. For good measure, do a good water change anyway.

Then I'd consider aggression as an issue. Are they all in the same tank? Is the tank large enough/suitable for them? Have you observed any menacing behavior? For good measure, you might want to separate them into different tanks and see if solitude plus good water helps the situation.

zackcrack00

Members
I'm no expert on Ropefish, but It looks like an open wound covered by some sort of fungus. i agree with Holly, check your parameters, and do a water change, I'd say around 25%. Sorry to hear about the illness!

Ammonia was a high, above 0 and did a big water change.
But lost one. What's weird is the shrimp seem fine and I know ropes are sensative but so are shrimp.

Man loseing fish sucks
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yeah peramiters were off. **** you work. Got the ones I can in a hospital tank. How I wish it was just a first aid tank but at this point its a hospital tank.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Greengirl

Members
Sorry, that sucks. I hope your other two recover. Do daily 20% water changes in the hospital tank until they seem fully recovered.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
All starts with filtration

Pimaflix for fungus, Melaflix for open wounds/everything else, yes you can dose together, follow instructions on label. Pretty good cure for most everything I encounter any more which is altogether increasingly rare due to good filtration, use of oak leaves for tannins, varied diet and fasting (the fish not me) once or twice a week - thus do I imagine. Have also shifted to 80%+ water changes for most every tank larger than a 10 gallon at least once a month.

You should tell us about your tank set-up - even if you heal your fish whatever they have is likely a symptom of a larger problem that you need to deal with the cause or it'll just happen again.

Becca

Members
Pimaflix for fungus, Melaflix for open wounds/everything else, yes you can dose together, follow instructions on label. Pretty good cure for most everything I encounter any more which is altogether increasingly rare due to good filtration, use of oak leaves for tannins, varied diet and fasting (the fish not me) once or twice a week - thus do I imagine. Have also shifted to 80%+ water changes for most every tank larger than a 10 gallon at least once a month.

You should tell us about your tank set-up - even if you heal your fish whatever they have is likely a symptom of a larger problem that you need to deal with the cause or it'll just happen again.

80%? Couldn't that cause stress/shock if the parameters of the incoming water are vastly different than those of the outgoing water?

Becca

Members
I think I probably have 40 lbs or more of driftwood in the 150, plus some old bags of peat moss. I didn't think, with how long most of the wood has been submerged, that it could still be impacting the tank that much, but pH is loooooooooow - below 6 (don't have low range test kit). I only even bothered testing it because we wanted to be extra careful acclimating the fish we got from Jeff Rapps. Water from the tap is somewhere around 7.6. Of course, an 80% water change on a 150 would probably take a full day, so maybe that's the real reason we never do more than 30% at a time.